Suggestions for sealing a headlight? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for sealing a headlight?

I have a 3.5 06 g6. I'm currently having trouble with my passanger side head light, theres moisture getting into it from a bad seal around the head light. I know this can be a simple fix by just adding some sort of adhesive, but thought i'd ask & see what other people used to seal it. If somone could suggest a good adhesive that would be awsome, Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Modern plastic headlamp housings are vented & can't be sealed. Water enters as water vapor thru the tyvek-like material covering the vent. Here is the vent on the rear of yours (two rectangular holes with a covering membrane to keep out liquid water & mold spores):

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1332698331

The heat from the headlamps drives out the moisture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G6 Headlamp Housing Vent.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2801  

Last edited by greenman; 03-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

From an earlier post of mine on the same subject:

Venting is how all car makers deal with the pressure gradients that exist within modern headlight housings. The space inside headlight housings experiences a large temperature fluctuation depending on weather conditions and whether the lamps are on or off. As we all learned in high school physics (yes you did), when air heats up within a confined space, it expands & the air pressure inside the space increases. Given today's designs molded in plastic with large exterior surface areas, it is necessary to prevent either a positive or negative pressure situation developing inside the flexible plastic enclosure to prevent flexing stress to the plastic exterior walls. For this reason, car makers use a vented housing design. Most car makers uses simple vent holes covered with a semi-permeable membrane. The membrane's purpose is to keep out liquid water, dust particles & mold spores, but allow moisture-laden air to flow freely across it in order to balance internal air pressure with ambient air pressure once the lamp element (or sunlight) begins heating up the interior of the housing.

The consequence of using a vented design is that sometimes condensation may form on the inside surface of the headlight lens, depending on the ambient relative humidity & temperature. This condensation is driven out as the lamp element (or the sunlight) heats up the housing interior and the moisture-laden air is vented to the exterior. Depending on where you live, or the season of the year, you may not see condensation form on the lens. If you live in a colder, damp climate you probably will. In a desert climate, probably not.

Now, if there is liquid water pooling in the bottom of the housing, very likely you have a lens seal breakdown & that will require housing replacement. GM will replace these units under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Some dealers are more lenient than others regarding housing replacement for condensation. All you can do is ask. But don't be too surprised if they do replace them, that the replacements act similiarly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok ya... I don't think we're on the right page... I'm talking about what I think is called the lense seal.. here is a picture of what I'm talking about. [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

its just the rubber around the head light, and water is getting in there and fogging up the inside of the head light, and I just wanted some suggestions on what to use to fill the gab or seal that portion of the head light.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Garage
RTV sealant available at your local auto parts store

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've used clear silicone adhesive/sealant without many problems. You can also try to bake the headlight or use a heat gun to soften the glue and hopefully re-seal it that way maybe a way to get it sealed without making it look messy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in