Random stall, cut off. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Random stall, cut off.

I am working on a friend's 2005 Pontiac G6 3.5L, that sporadically stalls when coming to a stop. I've done some scouring through the forums and cannot find a related issue.

So far, no check engine light on, and it happens at very random times. I was beginning to suspect a throttle body or a shorted sensor are these common issues?

She first noticed that it stalled after having her oil changed, and I was only able to look at it later (2 weeks). among the other screwy things they did they over filled the oil 3 quarts. (even though this engine design/oil capacity (roughly4.5 quarts) hasnt changed in a long time) Corrected the oil level, and was beginning to believe that under certain circumstances this could cause the engine to stall. but a couple days later it stalled again.

So... after muddling through possible causes, I am beginning to think that the issue would have to be that due to the oil level, that some sort of coking or oil has contaminated a sensor or dirtied up the throttle body.

before I tear into the car. I would like to know if there are any common issues related to stalling that might be the root cause of the problem!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

intermittently stalls when coming to a stop/no DTCs/

I suppose you can't rule out deliberate sabotage. Exactly how long after the oil change did she first notice the issue? Does it run well other than the stalling symptom?

What have you tried thus far?

I always start by cleaning the TB & MAF sensor if not done yet. Then I'd check the fuel pressure & volume at various engine loads.

Is a scan tool giving up no clues?

Did the oil look frothy like a milkshake?

Last edited by greenman; 03-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

It has no other drivability issues other than the stalling. I think she said 2 days after they changed the oil that it began stalling out. I checked for DTC's tester was no real help, but all I have is one for foreign cars so I cant pull any measured values and cannot perform any adaptions. No frothy oil, and coolant level has not changed.

I have not had enough time with the car to go through it more, but I was definitely planning on removing the throttle body cleaning it out and cleaning maf map iac and looking at the egr the next time I have a chance to look at it.

then checking the fuel pressure.

I was just concerned that it may be a trans related torque converter lock up or something of the sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

No IAC valve on these cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in