Removing 2009 Stock stereo faceplate - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Removing 2009 Stock stereo faceplate

Hi everyone, not only is this my first post, but I just picked up my 2009 G6 yesterday and brought it home TODAY!! I got a great deal on it, but it came with a couple flaws. The most annoying concerns the radio. The radio works fine, but some how the previous owner got some liquid behind the top and bottom faceplates on the stock stereo. I attached a picture so that you can see. The water dried of course, but it left a white residue, which makes the display very difficult to see during the day. Is there any way to take that face plate off the stereo so that I can clean the water stains behind both screens?

I have not taken apart the dash board, though I have looked at that thread. Before I do that, I just want to know if any of you guys who have actually taken your stereos out noticed any screws in the back or something that would allow me to take the front off so that I can clean behind the screens?

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2803  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Removal of the center trim panel is covered in the Chiltons for G6 book. It's well worth the $20-25.

Basically you just pull starting at the bottom. It is just held by clips.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

If I understand your post correctly, I'm not talking about actually removing the stereo (though I understand I may have to do that to fix this problem). What I mean is; once the stereo is completely out of the car and in my hands, and I look at the front of the stereo, is it possible for me to take that faceplate off so that I can clean behind the display plastic?
Or, alternatively, is it possible to take the faceplate off the stereo without removing the actual unit from the dashboard so that I can clean behind the display?

I've scoured the internet and I can't find pictures of the stereo unit from other angles other than the front, so I can't really see if it can be done, and I can't find any forum posts here or on g6performance that specifically deal with this kind of issue.

I've read posts about taking the faceplate off in order to remove and clean sticky buttons, but not specifically for my stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I see I really screwed the pooch with my post. Whoops

I haven't tried to pull the faceplate, but I know it's possible.

Last edited by greenman; 03-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
here ya go

Click

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

That is exactly what I am looking for! I'm glad that you can take the faceplate off, but i'm a little disappointed that I have to take the deck out :-(.

Thanks for the information!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in