Cut wire in headlight switch? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Cut wire in headlight switch?

Hey guys. I just purchased an 07 G6 GTP. I'm having issues once you turn on the signal Light and turn, it doesn't wanna always turn off when you turn the wheel back. So I removed the cover on the steering column where the switch is located to investigate and found a purple wire cut coming from the headlight switch. I know this has nothing to do with the signal, but does anyone know what this wire is and why it's cut? Thanks!

Last edited by oakley30; 03-28-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Purple/white stripe is the headlamps off signal wire. No idea why it's cut.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I wonder if someone cut it so they couldn't turn off the daytime running lights... haha

Like what comes to mind is an over-protective parent getting a car for their kid... or over-protective spouse.

Your turn signal not cancelling is a problem I had. twice. They always just had to replace the turn signal switch and it was done under warranty. From what I could figure out it's actually pretty easy to replace.

GMPartsDirect has a new switch listed for under $30.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 03-28-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
I wonder if someone cut it so they couldn't turn off the daytime running lights... haha

Like what comes to mind is an over-protective parent getting a car for their kid... or over-protective spouse.

Your turn signal not cancelling is a problem I had. twice. They always just had to replace the turn signal switch and it was done under warranty. From what I could figure out it's actually pretty easy to replace.

GMPartsDirect has a new switch listed for under $30.
Could you give me a link to that switch please? Thanks for the quick response.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The problem with GMPartsDirect is I can't just give you a link to the part... But here's the site, You can just enter your car information and then in the search field just type "Turn Signal Switch" It should come right up.

This site has been the cheapest of all the GM Warehouse parts sites I could find.

GMPartsDirect
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
The problem with GMPartsDirect is I can't just give you a link to the part... But here's the site, You can just enter your car information and then in the search field just type "Turn Signal Switch" It should come right up.

This site has been the cheapest of all the GM Warehouse parts sites I could find.

GMPartsDirect
Thank you so much. Bought one at the scrap yard. Installed it in about 5 min. Man that was easy. Works perfect!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Do you think that wire is cut so the the fog lights can turn on without the headlights on? I'm not sure how the headlights and fog lights behave together on the g6. If I start my car during the day and the switch is on auto the driving lights come on. If I push the fog lights switch, fogs and park lights come on and headlights turn off. When it gets dark the headlights turn on automatically. If I want just fogs and park lights on I turn the switch to park lights with the fog Light button pushed. Is this the way it works for all g6's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in