Water leaking in under dash on passenger side. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Water leaking in under dash on passenger side.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site. I have browsed the site looking for a solution, but no one seems to have my exact problem. So I made an account in order to seek help. I purchased my G6 last October. It's a 2007 GT sedan. Since I've purchased it I have been getting one disappointment after another. What's even more frustrating is that the car is out of warranty so everything is coming out of my pocket. Sorry, I had to vent. Now moving on...

A few weeks ago we experienced a heavy rainstorm. Afterwards, I went out to my car and there was a puddle of water on my passenger side. I sucked the water up with a carpet cleaner. After I was done I had sucked up a gallon of water (no joke). My first thought was to check the sunroof. There was no leaks coming from the sunroof itself. So I checked the doors. Nothing there. But there was little watermarks on the piece of plastic underneath the door.

This morning it was raining heavily once again so I knew it would be leaking. I went out to my car and lord behold there was a big wet spot on my passenger side. By watching the water come inside I was able to confirm where the waters coming from. It's coming from this small gap (that my fingers can barely fit through) underneath the glove box by the door. I put my fingers in the gap and felt something that seemed to be loose. I tried to remove the plastic but it was too tight. I was able to slightly move it though but couldn't take it off.

Let me explain that this only happens when it rains. It doesn't happen when my A/C is on or after it goes off. Only when it rains. As I stated before, I do have a sunroof and my car is a 2007 sedan. If any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. If I could take the plastic off I could possibly be able to fix it but I don't know how to remove it. Before I attempt to fix it I would like to know if it's possibly a drain tube from the sunroof or what. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited by Smiles22186; 04-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
definitly sounds like the drain tubes are disconnected. very common problem, Click

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Where are the drain tubes located? I didn't think it was drain tubes just because of the location. Most people say their seat belts are wet. But that's not the case with my car. But then again, maybe we have the same problem just in different locations. If I knew where the drain tubes were located I could have a better idea of what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Garage
click on the link and read

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM

please help

I have an 08 g6 that is leaking water when it rain from passenger side. It puddles up in my back seat. My problem sounds just like his, however I do not have the sun roof. The padding under the glove box area is soaked. Runs underneath seat and puddles up in the backseat. I have searched several times but every post I find had to do with drain tubes from sunroof.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Continued Leak problem - Passenger sides

Has anyone gotten any updates or advice on this issue?

I am not sure what this plastic piece is Smiles was talking about. Whether it is the plastic caps to the holes on the side of the small vertical portion on the side structure going up to the door from the floor. I have, it seems, one most forward that has some kind of tar and plastic tape or material pressed over that would not let anything leak.

I am in a similar position and have dissected these forums for more ideas, but so far no luck.

I am getting water seemingly from the passenger front which seems to come from the lower portion near the floor (not directly under the dash) judging from the wetness of the annoying padding under the carpet built into the dash it looks like that cannot be removed easily and slowly drowning everything on the way back to the passenger rear floor.

My problem is diagnosing this overly complicated problem. I understand the probable problems and have tried to address them as such:

Sun roof drain tubes. (Here comes the sarcasm, it will stop when GM can stop to think about its designs). I have had this problem as every Pontiac G6 owner probably has had to deal with. The drain tubes are properly fit back up with more than sufficient glue and have been checked regular as I continue to diagnose my leak to ensure connection, clear flow and/or any other obstructions or cracks to back up the drainage or find a route to leak into my car, respectfully. All drains when running water tested has been successful pour out of the door jams and rear fender wells for their respective drains exits.

My antenna is cracked and I have sprayed this down with a hose, poured water all over it, taped it up during rain, cast magical spells of repair upon it, but that is not the cause either.

A/C backing up. I have brought my car to a "professional" TWICE on this possible issue. Now, initially I have removed the white plug, yada yada. I blew it out with an air compressor with 150 PSI, nothing. I took it to a local chain garage, "Professional", and they blew it out as well and said that a good bit of water poured out. They stated that they could hear more moving in there and they would address it again. DID NOT fix the problem. I ran my A/C for over 30 minutes, full blast, and watched the water pour under car, no sign of back up. Again, problem not fixed. Rained next day, car wet again.

VENTING - You can imagine my car smells pretty amazing right now. For some reason co-workers do not want me to drive to lunch anymore. Awe, thanks GM for saving me 3 miles/week of gas to go towards my thousands of dollars in repairs that occur right after warranty. How did you time that so well!

Back on subject - The second "Professional" I took it to said it was the front windshield leaking and that I would have to take it to a auto glass repair shop. Note: most auto glass companies (i.e. safelite) do not prefer to repair a windshield they have not previously installed. So, I took up my rear and front passenger carpet, removed passenger seat, semi removed headliner enough to keep an extra eye on sunroof drains or anything else that may be leaking up there. Then, I hosed my front windshield and sunroof heavily, strategically, and with longevity (sorry water bill). The second "Professional" said they could see water dripping in when spraying windshield. I am guessing they skipped the pressure washer and went with a laser jet, because I saw NOTHING.

So, this is what square one feels like. Filled with being clueless, water in my dreams, and a great colon application when I enter my car.

Now my current itinerary is an offer from an auto glass repair shop (familyish owned) for $250 to diagnosed this even if he does not find. This would involve running the A/C, spraying car,etc. in hopes that he MIGHT find it. I was hesitant to hand my car over mayyyyyyybe because I have done ALL of that and I jumped to confusion for free, essentially.

The only thing now that sparked my interest is the location of plastic piece Smiles was describing and if that may be a possible issue. Or, another thing would be the topic where someone posted their trunk leaking through a weld only after a long duration rain.

Also, my trunk is and has been dry, back sets dry, seat belts dry, drivers side dry, fists clenched firm. Pontiac G6-GT-2008-115K Miles-Problem every month after warranty.

Any discussion would be appreciated.

Last edited by Tonyatc08; 08-17-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in