2008 g6 battery issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

2008 g6 battery issue

My 2008 4cyl. g6 in october was acting like the battery was dying, would barely turnover, it would by almost to the point of dying. I checked the battery it was 4 years old, so i just went ahead and put a new one in. It helped up until now (6 months later) and the same issue. It seems to my like it is the starter. I have checked the alternator with my voltmeter and it is working fine. I can drive it for a while and when i get back in it, it still drags almost down to nothing when it starts. Anybody has dealt with this before, it would sure be helpful, my gut tells me it is the starter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Have you tested for a parasitic drain?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Have you tested for a parasitic drain?
I have good knowledge with a voltmeter, i will give it a try, let me know the easiest and best way you think. I figured driving it daily with the alternator working would eliminate a parasitic drain issue but even driving it does jot seem to help it start better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Slow starter rotation could be caused by loose or corroded connections/cables between the battery, starter & engine ground, or the battery is drained. Could also be the starter but don't throw a starter at it until you've eliminated the other possibilities.

What is the voltage across the battery terminals with no load on it (everything is off)? This tells you the battery's relative charge condition. Don't assume the battery is good because its only 6 months old. Charge it up & have it load-tested to be sure.

So this condition is not intermittent?

Learning how to do a parasitic drain test is easy & very worthwhile due to how commonly parasitic drains develop. Eric's a great teacher:

Last edited by greenman; 04-16-2012 at 11:41 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Slow starter rotation could be caused by loose or corroded connections/cables between the battery, starter & engine ground, or the battery is drained. Could also be the starter but don't throw a starter at it until you've eliminated the other possibilities.

What is the voltage across the battery terminals with no load on it (everything is off)? This tells you the battery's relative charge condition. Don't assume the battery is good because its only 6 months old. Charge it up & have it load-tested to be sure.

So this condition is not intermittent?

Learning how to do a parasitic drain test is easy & very worthwhile due to how commonly parasitic drains develop. Eric's a great teacher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKjdn...feature=relmfu
Thanks for this info.....I charged the battery with my good 2 amp charger all night last night and it is no better this morning. I charged it with the battery terminals/cables on, I wish I would of disconnected the car from the equation and just charged the battery. The battery says 12.89 volts with no load and it jumps up to 14.86 when it does start.

I will take the battery this afternoon to get it load tested, to eliminate that. Just wondering is the starter a common problem on the g6
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacplus View Post
Just wondering is the starter a common problem on the g6
Not really. But you may have drawn the lucky straw.

What's the mileage?

Have you removed & cleaned all the connections?

Last edited by greenman; 04-17-2012 at 04:28 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not really. But you may have drawn the lucky straw.

What's the mileage?

Have you removed & cleaned all the connections?
Got up under it today and had wife turn it over......whisps off smoke come out of the starter......checked connections and they are good......definitely starter, yes i got fortunate this time......i also noticed when starting it the headlights were not draining and that is usually a tell tale starter sign......Thanks for helping me and discussing it.....i already got the old one off and the other is on order $85 from o'reilys
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Make sure you clean the cable from the battery before reinstalling it on the new starter. Also using dielectric grease on the electrical contacting surfaces would help prevent corrosion (which limits the flow of current).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in