Head Lamp socket melting - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Head Lamp socket melting

About a year ago, my driver's side, low beam headlight went out. After going to replace the bulb, I noticed that the socket was actually melted and corroded. I changed out the socket... and 6 months later, the same issue.

Has anyone else seen this? It sounds like a short in the entire harness. Is anyone aware of a harness swap? or do I need to get an entirely new headlamp?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Very common issue.

In a high current circuit such as the headlamps, it doesn't take much of an increase in resistance to create enough localized heat to melt the plastic socket. Corrosion causes such an increase in resistance across the contact surfaces.

The best way to reduce metal contact corrosion is by using dielectric silicone grease on the contacting surfaces. It effectively displaces water from the contacts.

You can also buy sockets that use a higher temp-rated plastic though they aren't really needed if you just prevent corrosion in the first place.

Also, did you replace the head lamp bulb? The electrical contact surfaces of the bulb must also remain corrosion-free. So if you reused the bulb it already had a corrosion buildup & it wouldn't take long for the new socket to melt.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

i'll look into the dielectric silicone grease. Although the connector I used this time has a built in water seal, so Corrosion was not an issue this time around (I did use a new bulb as well). It is currently working just by unplugging the bulb and then wiggling it around to re-plug.. however, I'm 90% sure that this will just be a temporary solution for a week or so until plastic melts onto the connections again. I'll also look into a connector with a a 'harder' plastic to hopefully mitigate the melting.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Can you post a picture or two of the damage?

Those seals just aren't that effective.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334786579&sr=8-4

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Dielectric grease is AWESOME! A worthwhile investment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in