Accidentally shifted into reverse (automatic) should I be worried? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Accidentally shifted into reverse (automatic) should I be worried?

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I hope I'm posting this in the right section. Anyway, I just bought an 06 G6 base model a few days ago. Well tonight I was coming home from work. Coming from a manual transmission car I'm used to having my hand on the shifter and I managed to accidentally shift into reverse while going about 20-25mph. I realized it immediately and shifted into neutral and came to a stop. I didn't hear any noises or anything just felt it dump speed really quick. When I tried to accelerate again the car didn't budge.

Right then my heart dropped cause I thought I just destroyed my tranny. I put it in park, killed the engine and then started it back up. It took about a second longer to start up but I didn't hear anything strange and it seems to be driving perfect. Should I be worried about some problems coming up later or does it sound like I got lucky? Do these cars have some sort of safety mechanism to prevent damage from occurring if this happens? When it went into reverse I didn't hear any grinding or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It's my understanding that these automatic trans have a safety. If you slammed it into reverse and left it there the engine probably would have shut off. Considering the fact you quickly popped it into Neutral and then put it in park and turned it off then back on I would think you're in good shape and wouldn't need to worry too much about it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
It's my understanding that these automatic trans have a safety. If you slammed it into reverse and left it there the engine probably would have shut off. Considering the fact you quickly popped it into Neutral and then put it in park and turned it off then back on I would think you're in good shape and wouldn't need to worry too much about it.
That's good to hear about the safety. But yeah I switched it into neutral as soon as I felt that speed dump. Probably lucky I did it at low speeds... that'll teach me to drive holding the shift knob.

By the way nice looking G6. Glad to see I won't be alone in modding the base model. Unfortunately though I had to go to a buy here pay here dealer (I'm in college and have no credit) and the only color they had was the green .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

All modern auto transmissions are computer-controlled & have reverse lockout whenever the car is moving forward. An attempt to engage reverse will result in the computer switching it into neutral.

Last edited by greenman; 04-23-2012 at 11:42 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hey thanks! Yea at first I didn't like the fact I got the base model, but it grew on me. Now I wouldn't have it any other way! haha. And thank to greenman, it's good to know that the computer will take over and kick it into neutral. I haven't driven a manual normally, but I do keep my hand on the shifter a lot. Only a matter of time until I hit the button and pop it into the wrong gear! haha

Also I like green, it's a good color. there's plenty of potential!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in