Headlights - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Headlights

Somebody help me! I have a 2008 G6. My daytime low beam on drivers side does not come on during the day but the light works fine at dark. The passenger side light works during the day but not at night. Bulbs are new... headlight plug/socket has been replaced......What do I check for next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Just to be clear, do you use the Auto position of the headlamps switch?

So you noticed the symptoms first, then you replaced both sockets & lamps?

That is a problem I've never run across.

Last edited by greenman; 04-24-2012 at 07:32 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Just to be clear, do you use the Auto position of the headlamps switch?

So you noticed the symptoms first, then you replaced both sockets & lamps?

That is a problem I've never run across.
Socket melted on passenger side... due to corrosion and bulb not in tight. Replaced socket then the fun began. Could the socket change cause this on both sides? Only changed passenger side. Yes I use them on automatic. If I take them off automatic only the driver side works.

Last edited by jewlz; 04-25-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 AM

check the wattage of the bulbs, they should be stock wattage.. anything over the stock wattage always has a chance to melt the socket and the bulb not working properly.

Appearance: 8000K HID's
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Replace fuse #9 (RT Low Beam) in the underhood fuse block. The DRL circuit design on this car is very odd (to say the least) so you'll just have to trust me. I can find no legit reason they designed it the way they did but blowing fuse 9 produces exactly the strange side-to-side behavior you're experiencing. Makes you wonder what the circuit team was smokin' that day.

For future readers of this thread with the alternative issue (a blown fuse #7 (LT Low Beam)), the left low beam would be out both day & night while using the AUTO switch position.

Last edited by greenman; 04-26-2012 at 01:18 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The headlight circuits in the G6 is quite funky! At least all you need to do is pull a fuse to get rid of those darn DRLs! haha
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM

Headlight Moisture

I am having problems with moisture getting in on the driver side headlight......I bought new ones about 5 months ago and it is doing the same thing!! I just recently put and HID kit in and had to drill holes in both assemblies and now they both have moisture in them....How do I go about repairing them because I don't wanna spend another 200 dollars on another set
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Since 1986.

Has anyone ever gotten a warranty fix on their headlight circuit troubles? My problems started in 2008 shortly after I bought the car.

Both connectors on my '08 G6 had corroded and subsequently melted terminals and after several attempts to clean them and pack them with dielectric grease, only to have the problems return, I cut out the connectors and went with bullet connectors.

The terminals are not well sealed and so small that once they start corroding they seem to burn quite quickly thereafter.

Yesterday I took the pass. headlight out after it stopped lighting again and found the connector at the back of the socket was coming loose. Looks like poor design where the clip does not stay hooked and the pieces came apart. Noticed also that the insulation on the wires was melted together going into the back of the connector-probably got hot from the high impedance as the connector was coming apart.

Dealer told me in early '11 that they could put in a new wiring harness so I fixed it myself. Too bad I didn't know about G6s then what I know now and with flippant dealer attitudes over this crap I'm done with GM forever. This is a safety issue.

Couple of other threads:
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...t=11319&page=2
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9405

Last edited by dstryr; 07-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I agree it's poor circuit design. It only takes a small increase in resistance in a high current circuit such as the headlamps to create enough local heating to fry the connectors. At the very least they should be applying dielectric silicone gel on the factory floor. It's a way too common problem on many models.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
The headlight circuits in the G6 is quite funky! At least all you need to do is pull a fuse to get rid of those darn DRLs! haha
If you do that and leave the switch on auto, will the lights still turn themselves off and on at night? Maybe I'll give it a shot myself, tired of replacing lights, the DRL feature runs them down too fast.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:05 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddynate77 View Post
If you do that and leave the switch on auto, will the lights still turn themselves off and on at night? Maybe I'll give it a shot myself, tired of replacing lights, the DRL feature runs them down too fast.
Be aware that depending on your local climate/season when running without DRLs you may (or may not) see more condensation inside the headlamp housings. Lamp heat helps keep them dry internally.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Ok, good point. I'll just try to remember to manually turn them off on hot sunny days where its no point for them to be on.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Has anyone tried swapping the headlights for 80 watters? I found some 7k hyper white halogens and they're 80w not 55. Would this be too much on the wiring?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddynate77 View Post
Has anyone tried swapping the headlights for 80 watters? I found some 7k hyper white halogens and they're 80w not 55. Would this be too much on the wiring?
I would advise against it. Those lamps will produce a lot more heat & draw more current then was intended in the circuit design.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 PM

I have been having this issue with the connector at the back of the socket was coming loose due to it frying up and melting away.. How could I fix this issue, I know the connectors need to be replaced but any guide on how to do it and where to get connectors. Tired of replacing my head lights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131128_123211.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	6882  

Last edited by dingathon; 11-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in