fix my messed up G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

fix my messed up G6

All of the following are happening---

1-slight hesitation when pulling away from light
2-surges on acceleration
(have been thinking electronic accelerator)
3-Traction control light comes on after driving about 200 mile
4-Keep driving, pull off highway, and transmission shifts hard in all gear shifts
5-Traction control light stays on until key is turned off.

There are P0561 (Tcontrol) code and no other codes or CEL.

WTF can cause all this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Recheck that code. No such code is used by GM.

Could it be p0651?

Last edited by greenman; 04-29-2012 at 07:09 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

ya...thats what i meant.....651....code that tells me nothing but the TC was turned off due to some other reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The 651 tells you there's an out of tolerance voltage on the 5-volt reference 2 bus which provides a constant 5 volts to the following sensors:

Accelerator pedal position sensor 1

Throttle position sensors 1 & 2

Crankshaft position sensor

So all of those sensors will be affected by the loss of that reference voltage signal which can cause a variety of driveability issues. Somewhere on that bus a wire is either shorted to ground or to voltage or one of the sensors themselves is. Could be occuring intermittently or could be a hard fault.

If you are skillled using a DVOM, here ya go:

Circuit/System Testing
Important:

Additional DTCs will set when disconnecting the components.

A short to voltage on the signal circuit of certain components may cause this DTC to set.

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector of all appropriate sensors for the applicable DTC.
Ignition ON, measure for 4.8-5.2 volts between one of the 5-volt reference circuits and ground.
⇒ If the voltage is less than the specified value, test for a short to ground on all the 5-volt reference circuits. If all circuits test normal, replace the control module.

⇒ If the voltage is greater than the specified value, test for a short to voltage on all the 5-volt reference circuits for each component associated with the appropriate 5-volt reference circuit. If all circuits test normal, replace the control module.

Connect each component associated with the 5-volt reference circuit, one at a time, while monitoring the voltage. The voltage should not change more than 1 volt.
⇒ If the voltage display increases more than the specified value when a component is connected, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage. If all circuits test normal, replace the control module.

⇒ If the voltage display decreases more than the specified value when a component is connected, replace the component.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

thank you SO much.....componant location for TPS #1 and 2?? are they integral to the pedal or componants located under the hood? I have purchased a take-off pedal cheap and plan to replace that as I believe it has a problem irreguardless of my other described troubles. I will soon be following the plan you gave me in your reply
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodneb View Post
thank you SO much.....componant location for TPS #1 and 2?? are they integral to the pedal or componants located under the hood? I have purchased a take-off pedal cheap and plan to replace that as I believe it has a problem irreguardless of my other described troubles. I will soon be following the plan you gave me in your reply
The throttle position sensors (there are two for redundancy) are part of the throttle body assy. They are not available separately. The accelerator pedal position sensor is on top of the accelerator pedal. If you replace the APP sensor you'll have to have a dealer zero it out.

I hate to see you throw parts at it, but it's your choice. It's almost always less expensive to have it professionally diagnosed & then do the repair yourself if you are up to it. It just is not possible for me to tell you where the problem lies without testing.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Finally got it fixed....checked all above...ended up coughing up the $$ and taking it to the dealer....cam selonoid $300.

thank you for your efforts to help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

That doesn't make sense given only a 651 code. But I'm glad it's fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in