3rd brake light staying on (different issue) - Pontiac G6 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
 
3rd brake light staying on (different issue)

Hi all
I've been combing the forums for 2 weeks now and have tried everything I can find to fix this but have had no luck...

So here goes...

First off the issue I am having is the third brake light stays on after I touch the brake pedal. The other brake lights are working normally as many million times that I try but the top (third brake) light stays on until I pull the plug or the fuse under the hood that just controls THAT light.

At first it was intermittent where I would just check it any time I would park to make sure it went out......If it was still on I could start the car....push the pedal down a few times and most of the time it would go out on its own...But now like i said it stays on all the time so I have pulled the fuse for now.

I have already changed the brake pedal switch, the fuses, the relay (under the hood), and I also tried the grease on the module connectors like everyone talks about. Still no luck. I even tried a "used" module since I have a friend at a junk yard and same problem with that as well. I am at wits end right now...
I was going to take it to the dealer to see if the switch needed programmed but I would think if the other two lights are working normally than the middle one should be the same....Or am I wrong about this. Could the switch be like a "2" position where it sends 2 seperate signals to the brake lights?

Please if any one has any ideas please let me know ...I hate to take it to the dealer as it is out of warranty and they will just try changing parts and charging me for them whether they get the problem fixed or not!

Thanks
bk2futr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
It's not the brake pedal position sensor causing your problem but you do have to have a new sensor zeroed out with a tech 2. An out-of-cal sensor can cost precious milliseconds in lamp response time when you hit the pedal.

You need to take it to someone that can use a multimeter & read a schematic. Most likely there's a short to voltage somewhere on the incoming supply (the coil side of relay 49). A sticky switch in relay 49 would also account for it but you said you swapped it out already.

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1335846948



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stoplampsch.png
Views:	2975
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2933  

Last edited by greenman; 04-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.
greenman is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 52
 
Well it definitely has a separate circuit because it has a fuse just for that light which is weird in my opinion. You said that you tried the dielectric grease. Did you spray contact cleaner and clean the plug and connector really well first? I was having the other brake light issue and just tried the grease with no avail. I had to spray the cleaner and take a toothbrush and clean it well then added the grease.
oakley30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley30 View Post
Well it definitely has a separate circuit because it has a fuse just for that light which is weird in my opinion. You said that you tried the dielectric grease. Did you spray contact cleaner and clean the plug and connector really well first? I was having the other brake light issue and just tried the grease with no avail. I had to spray the cleaner and take a toothbrush and clean it well then added the grease.

Thanks for the reply...I didn't spray any cleaner in there but I did plug it in and out a bunch of times to clean the pins that way. I'm not sure what everyone elses looks like in there but my pins looked very clean and shiny already.
So should I try to clean the grease out and spray the pins down this time?
bk2futr is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
It's not the brake pedal position sensor causing your problem but you do have to have a new sensor zeroed out with a tech 2. An out-of-cal sensor can cost precious milliseconds in lamp response time when you hit the pedal.

You need to take it to someone that can use a multimeter & read a schematic. Most likely there's a short to voltage somewhere on the incoming supply (the coil side of relay 49). A sticky switch in relay 49 would also account for it but you said you swapped it out already.

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/at...1&d=1335846948
Thanks for the reply and the schematic. The relay is what I thought it was at first.....(and the first part I changed) Because if I tapped it lightly it would kick the light out. But I replaced it and still have the same issue.. Now I can still get the light to go out (sometimes) by tapping it but it seems to take more of a hit each time I try that!

So are you saying the short is probably on the incoming voltage to the relay?
Which I am assuming would be between the BCM and the relay? Since it is on a voltage line is there a chance of a fire or smoldering/melting wires?

Also I wanted to mention if I pull the fuse the light will go out (of course). Then if I put the fuse back in the light will stay out until I hit the brake pedal again then it will stay on again.

Thanks again for all the help so far! I hope i can figure this out soon.

Car is a 2006 G6 GT Sedan BTW!
bk2futr is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk2futr View Post
Thanks for the reply and the schematic. The relay is what I thought it was at first.....(and the first part I changed) Because if I tapped it lightly it would kick the light out. But I replaced it and still have the same issue.. Now I can still get the light to go out (sometimes) by tapping it but it seems to take more of a hit each time I try that!

So are you saying the short is probably on the incoming voltage to the relay?
Which I am assuming would be between the BCM and the relay? Since it is on a voltage line is there a chance of a fire or smoldering/melting wires?

Also I wanted to mention if I pull the fuse the light will go out (of course). Then if I put the fuse back in the light will stay out until I hit the brake pedal again then it will stay on again.
Any possibility that you reinstalled the original relay (#49) when you were swapping it out? It would be easy enough to do. I recommend marking the original relay (I use a self-adhesive label & write it's original position number on it) before I ever pull one out. It sure sounds like that relay is sticking closed.



greenman is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Any possibility that you reinstalled the original relay (#49) when you were swapping it out? It would be easy enough to do. I recommend marking the original relay (I use a self-adhesive label & write it's original position number on it) before I ever pull one out. It sure sounds like that relay is sticking closed.
Hi...yes I know it sounds like the relay...It even clicks when I leave off the brake pedal.....and if I'm in the garage with the engine off (keys on)and the hood up and the fuse cover off I can hear a little louder click when it actually turns the 3rd light out....I know I've tried about 6 or so different relays in it. I was at my buddies junk yard when I first started messing with it and he just told me to take a handfull of them...So I doubt they would all be doing the same thing...
Thanks for the reply
bk2futr is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
So if the relay is good that leaves a short to voltage either on light blue wire 20, white wire 17 or in the underhood fuse box itself. Since tapping on the relay seems to act as a circuit switch, I'd suspect the fuse box.



greenman is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
So if the relay is good that leaves a short to voltage either on light blue wire 20, white wire 17 or in the underhood fuse box itself. Since tapping on the relay seems to act as a circuit switch, I'd suspect the fuse box.
well i was kind of thinking of that myself but figured there wasn't really anything there that could go bad....But who knows...I think there was a fuse box just laying in the car I got some of the relays from...I'll try to get there this week sometime and see if he will let me try it...

would these 2 wires you say be between the BCM and the fuse block or to the light itself?

Thanks for the suggestion!:
bk2futr is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6
 
Smile

I think I found the problem with the 3rd brake light staying on.....I removed the fuse block that holds the 3rd brake light relay and cleaned all the contacts with electrical contact cleaner and put it all back together. Pushed the brake pedal a bunch of times and light seems to be working correctly!
I will keep an eye on it though and post again if there are any more issues!
Thanks for all that replied with ideas.
bk2futr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 emergency brake issue tstjohn52 Problems and Solutions 7 04-25-2012 01:00 PM
brake light issue jpacholke General Maintenance 8 11-14-2011 05:10 AM
2007 G6 Headlight and Brake Light Issue pacop312 Problems and Solutions 0 06-20-2011 02:28 AM
Possible brake issue EM EHCH Problems and Solutions 6 11-29-2010 09:29 AM
Weird Brake Issue joeGXPmd General Maintenance 8 03-30-2010 09:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome