Where did my coolant go?? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Where did my coolant go??

Hi all, I don't post much but I read constantly. Mine is fairly stock, 2008 GT sedan. I would like to do some mods but I can't find any blue eyelids, lol! So over the last few weeks, I heard the sloshing noises behind my instrument panel. Thanks to the wisdom here I determined I was low on coolant despite no warnings on my DIC. I filled it up. No leaks, no smell, no white smoke. Two weeks later, the sloshing came back. Rather than fill it, I made an appt. at the stealership for Wednesday. As luck would have it, I have a bumper to bumper to 100K. But what do I expect? Kind of nervous my baby is going in for something that might be major. I will let you all know what happens when the diagnosis comes in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It just means you have a leak somewhere in the coolant system. Can't speculate beyond that.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Who gives a 100K bumper to bumper warranty, never heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I bought it Certified Preowned and they offered a sweet bumper to bumper to 100K. I think it was cheap because they still put all the powertrain items through GM. So I bought the warranty from the dealer.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Had the same problem. Ended up being head gasket.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

That is what I am afraid of. How is it running now? Its not that I don't trust the mechanics, but the thought having that much of my engine taken apart scares me. Things don't always go back together as well as they should.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
its running great now hasnt lost a drop, but they left my engine looking like shit, so I had to clean it up.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You can rent a coolant system pressure testing kit from autozone. Just put it on where the cap goes and pump it up and then look for leaks. No visible leaks may turn out to be a head gasket.
Replacing a head gasket is an involved job, but if done correctly everything should be grand! Only issue I've ever noticed is how dirty everything usually gets. haha

ALSO, you mentioned something about eyelids. I got a set from this site:
Eyelids
It's a different style then what most people choose, but I really like the look of them. They offer them in a few different blues. And they'll send sample patches to you so you can properly match the color, You may get some light shine through with the blues though, but you can put a layer of black underneath to take care of it...

Here are some shots I have that give some idea, I can snap more pics if you'd like...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I am not going to worry about the pressure testing unless the dealer can't find anything tomorrow. I am sure they will though, the service guy sounded pretty confident this isn't right. I guess if I am ever to have head gasket issues, under warranty is the time to do it. I just hope they give me a cool rental! lol!
Cruisin, those eyelids look great! I like how it follows the fender lines. Not worried about light coming thru, the daytime look is what I am going for. I usually use the fogs during the day which switches off the DRLs. I also like the chrome lower grill, that might be next on my list. But coolant and idle shakes are priority!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Right on. Check and clean (if needed) your Throttle body and MAF. A little built up crud can easily rob you of a smooth idle. haha
But yea that's the exact reason I like these eyelids, I like how they follow the finder line and come down further to make it more aggressive looking. It's getting to that time to replace mine, can't believe how weathered they get. Word of advice if you happen to get these eyelids, if you get bubbles do not poke little holes thinking you can squeeze em out. Just leave it be and park it in the sun for a few days, That'll take care of it.

And that chrome on the bottom, Really easy! I got some chrome door edging from walmart and just cut and applied. A little super glue in the corners to keep it from peeling and that's it, Looks great but due to cheap materials. I had to replace my first set after 2-3 years, thanks to the salt of Illinois. haha

Hopefully you'll get your car fixed up and ready to go at little to no cost to you! That's always the best.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
I bought it Certified Preowned and they offered a sweet bumper to bumper to 100K. I think it was cheap because they still put all the powertrain items through GM. So I bought the warranty from the dealer.
If the warranty is GMPP, it's not bumper to bumper, it would be major guard.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cruisin! I will let you know what I end up doing. I have to do something, get away from complete stock.

Slls, it is not through GM. I will look later and see who it is. GM has the power train until 100K. Actually, GM holds the next few thousand any way cause it was a CPO vehicle. It has been at the dealership for hours and still no word.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hopefully you'll get some word. I know whenever I took my car to the dealer for work, it would sit for a few hours and then get serviced in 10 minutes and be done. I hate taking it in for work, but gotta love warranty!

And I know what you mean, so many of these things on the road you have to make it less stock and more unique. haah
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, it ended up being the water pump. At only 55,000 miles! Am I to expect that again in 50K? I have never had to change a water pump on any car ever. They inspected everything else and the car runs like a top. I checked the coolant level before I left and the reservoir was empty! They were surprised I checked but then topped it off reassuring me it was not leaking. No puddle that I could see. Covered under warranty. But the hours were not enough to cover the rental HHR I got. Interesting car by the way. At only $35 for the day, I didn't complain. No on to some mods!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 AM

off topic @ cruisin g6...where did you get that amazing front spoiler??? ( the one at the bottom of the front bumper. )
it looks awesome ! gr8 job .

5% tint, red brake calipers, rear parking sensors,LED licens plate light, LED reverse lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in