Uhhh Seafoam Gots Me Confused Son - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Uhhh Seafoam Gots Me Confused Son

Lol, so i ran seafoam through my brake booster line yesterday. I thought it was supposed to produce a bit of steam/smoke from the exhaust? I disconnected the brake booster line from block and put a 1/2' hose on put my thumb over it started her up...sucked in 1/3 of the can of seafoam while my buddy revved to keep the idle clean and then shut it off for 10 min or so. Re-connected the hose...started it up and no smoke/steam....not during the process or after when i restarted the engine and gave it a little gas.

Two things...

first...is this simply because i opted not to put it in the oil also? i know that you should only put it in the oil right before your going to change it and run it till theres no more smoke/steam and then change your oil.

or second....and worse....could the no steam/smoke be from a leak somewhere in my lines? or did i simply just not do it right...

that was my first time running seafoam through the car..i did have several techs from small auto shops telling me what to do and a few people observing who have built turbos and have a bit of experience running seafoam. but they had only done it on 4 cylinders....

i know it said to consult a tech to make sure it would reach all 6 cylinders before doing it...could that also be why there was no smoke/steam?

thanks in advance for your help duders...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
you did it right.... your car is probaly just clean and free of carbons, so no smoke.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 AM

Seafoam in your oil is a horribly bad idea. Vacuum is the only way I'd ever consider seafoam and even still my personal preference would be GMs TEC if I were to ever do it.

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Well everyone whos done it or the mechanics ive asked said to do a full seafoam treatment you run 1/3 gas tank.. 1/3 vacuum and 1/3 oil you run it till the smokes gone and then you change your oil the same day.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead852 View Post
Seafoam in your oil is a horribly bad idea. Vacuum is the only way I'd ever consider seafoam and even still my personal preference would be GMs TEC if I were to ever do it.
im curious though why wouldnt you run it through your oil? what potential damage could it cause if you change the oil an hour later?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrizzle52 View Post
im curious though why wouldnt you run it through your oil? what potential damage could it cause if you change the oil an hour later?
Seafoam removes gunk out of your engine. This is good. However where does the gunk form? Gunk sticks to cold areas of the engine which are not near friction creating components. When seafoam frees it up the build up breaks into smaller deposits and circulates throughout you're oiling system. The particular area for concern are you main and rod bearing oil passages. The tolerances in most modern engines for bearing clearances are less than or equal to .0001". Loose lubrication to a main or rod journal bearing and your looking at total engine faliure.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I run seafoam in my oil, But only for about a week or so before I change my oil, Gives it a chance to knock everything loose in time for the change so the fresh oil can stay nice and clean. I would think by doing this every oil change you don't really give gunk a chance to build up enough to where you'll see problems.

As for the white smoke, From what I've read that is actually steam coming from the simple combustion with the moisture. But I could be wrong, Just what I've read.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM

Gunk build up wont be an issue if you run the motor hot enough(good driving cycles), use premium quality oil, and stick to a regular oil change interval. It's basically a waste of money. That's just my 2 cents however. A piece of mind is always a valuable asset and that's what it brings people. You also have a point about the repetitive use. I can't say I've ever heard of issues with seafoam from owners whom use it often and early. Mostly people whom use it first time on an older car. Googling "engine knock after seafoam" should raise some eyebrows however.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead852 View Post
Gunk build up wont be an issue if you run the motor hot enough(good driving cycles), use premium quality oil, and stick to a regular oil change interval. It's basically a waste of money. That's just my 2 cents however. A piece of mind is always a valuable asset and that's what it brings people. You also have a point about the repetitive use. I can't say I've ever heard of issues with seafoam from owners whom use it often and early. Mostly people whom use it first time on an older car. Googling "engine knock after seafoam" should raise some eyebrows however.
Well Metalhead it seems you have a thorough knowledge of the inner mechanics of the engine itself so i definitely take your advice as fact.

My question is this

i have an engine with 95 k on it and is running with a serious lag. it just seems like its clogged up. I try to keep it as clean as possible and stay up on oil changes and what not. I dont change the tranny fluid as much as i should given its such a bitch to get to. But its running like its dragging. Sometimes i mash the pedal and get no response ...ill let off mash it again and it will eventually jump into gear.

from what your saying it seams like running the seafoam through my oil prior to changing my oil could seriously damage my engines internals?

what would you recommend to try and repair a really sluggish engine?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:20 AM

It could be any assortment of issues from a fuel filter, TPS, dirty MAF. The only way I could say anything is to have hands on diagnosis. Running seafoam via a vacuum port isn't going to harm anything. The stumble sounds like an air related issue but again you can't tell via text.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

yeh i know what you mean. Ive never pulled the mass air flow censor out to check it or the tps...would it look dirty or wouldnt i get a light on my dash if it was malfunctioning?

in lamenst tersm, i feel alot of exagerated gears. sometimes it holds an 2 or third gear especially going up hill for wayyyy to long before finally jumping into the next gear and i usually have to push down excesively to get it to jump into its next gear up hill.

not to say the car runs like shit...some days it runs amazing...some days i just dont get the power and it feels clogged.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Have you checked your throttle body? I'm at about 46k right now and I've cleaned it I think 3 times now. And every time I'm amazed by the difference! even a little bit of gunk is enough to slow mine down IMO.

And Metalhead I can see where you're coming from on using the seafoam on a high mileage engine for the first time. Maybe piece of mind is all I'm paying for but my last oil change (going by the life indicator in the DIC) the old oil was still pretty darn clean, and this was after about 6-7k I think, not sure.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrizzle52 View Post
yeh i know what you mean. Ive never pulled the mass air flow censor out to check it or the tps...would it look dirty or wouldnt i get a light on my dash if it was malfunctioning?

in lamenst tersm, i feel alot of exagerated gears. sometimes it holds an 2 or third gear especially going up hill for wayyyy to long before finally jumping into the next gear and i usually have to push down excesively to get it to jump into its next gear up hill.

not to say the car runs like shit...some days it runs amazing...some days i just dont get the power and it feels clogged.
Definitely check your air filter. I didn't realize how much of a drag it put on my engine until I changed it, what a difference. Also definitely look into cleaning your throttle body it sounds like it has gunk built up on it by the way you have to floor it to get it to move. The throttle in the G6 is by wire, that is, electronic, not a cable from the pedal to the throttle so it may be a case of the throttle stepper motor getting weak or just very gunky.

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the shitty spelling/grammar im trying to speed post these in between my boss looking over my shoulder
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Metal your a god that sounds like the problem to a T. what should i do to clean it. Mind you i have some but limited experience in ripping my car apart to get to the gold if you know what i mean.

just a basic over view would be very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in