G6 GT Headlight Assembly - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

G6 GT Headlight Assembly

A few Weeks ago while I was driving at night my drivers side headlight stopped working, so the next day I bought new bulbs thinking that was the problem. I removed the headlight to replace the bulb and noticed the plug that connects to the back of the bulb was burnt and corroded, so I cleaned the corrosion the best I could and the bulb started working again. I drove around with the old bulb for a few Weeks until I could have the plug replaced the blub was very dim after I cleaned off the corrosion. It worked for two weeks. After the bulb finally blew I noticed the headlight had become hazy. I was told by a service representative at a dealership the headlight assembly needed to be replaced and it would cost $400. I thought that quote was extremely overpriced, so I decided to buy and replace it myself. The only problem is all of the assembles I have found have an orange plastic cover over the turn signal. My car has the clear plastic piece over the turn signal bulb. Does anyone have any idea where I could find this type of headlight assembly? I'm not sure if this thread is in the correct fourm my apologies if it's not. Oh, my car is a 2010 G6 GT
. I could post pictures if that would help. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I thought they were mandated to be orange. Are you in the US?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes I am in the US. The bulbs are orange, but the plastic piece inside the headlight over the bulbis clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Garage
Where did you buy it from? OEM or A/M? It could just be a screw up. I would try having another one ordered and exchange it.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IT ONLY LOOKS FAST!!!

My Progression Thread
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben94 View Post
Yes I am in the US. The bulbs are orange, but the plastic piece inside the headlight over the bulb is clear.
Kind of hard to believe they made more than one OEM style. Maybe it's a 2010 thing. Somebody will know here.

I strongly recommend that you put dielectric silicone gel on the headlamp connectors to prevent (for the most part) future corrosion. It's a common problem in the headlamp circuit. Don't be too surprised if the other side has the same issue sooner or later.

Last edited by greenman; 06-08-2012 at 11:49 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

I bought the car used a months ago, but the headlights are OEM. I will post a picture later.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
So you were one of the lucky ones that got the clear vs orange. Seems like the later models came like that. Wish mine did.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6

Last edited by waterfowler76; 06-08-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

So now you got me wondering what that lens haze was caused by. Is it on the inside of the lens? Could it be black soot? Tried rinsing it out with whatever?

Buying one oem housing will probably be about the same as two aftermarket housings.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Garage
the connectors for the headlights on the g6's are junk!!!!! i had so many lights acting funny sometimes they worked sometimes not so i cut the plugs out and hardwired them!!! everything works great now!!!!!

2008 G6 Gt 3.5L Aftermarket Hood With Scoops,Tinted Tail Lights, K&N Clamp On Filter, Tinted Windows, GXP 18" Wheels
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea weird how some have a clear lens. I have a set of headlights with the clear lens that I've been wanting to paint. But opening it is proving to be quite the undertaking
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
So now you got me wondering what that lens haze was caused by. Is it on the inside of the lens? Could it be black soot? Tried rinsing it out with whatever?

Buying one oem housing will probably be about the same as two aftermarket housings.
Yes the haze is on the inside of the lens. I really have no idea what it could be. How would I rinse it out?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Yea weird how some have a clear lens. I have a set of headlights with the clear lens that I've been wanting to paint. But opening it is proving to be quite the undertaking
Yeah it is weird. I just can't seem to find any with the clear lens. I've read opening them up is a pain.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben94 View Post
Yeah it is weird. I just can't seem to find any with the clear lens. I've read opening them up is a pain.
ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...+turn&_sacat=0

Mods: GT-R exhaust, CRABs O3 w/FPU, 35% tint, 5000K HID lows/fogs, upper/lower recessed grilles, Racingline strut bar, concept darts, white LEDs everywhere
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I'm looking at doing a light smoke on the outside of my headlights. I'm on the fence on running the ones with the amber lens or the one with the clear lens.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Clear

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in