Cigarette Lighter fuse keeps blowing - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cigarette Lighter fuse keeps blowing

I have had my G6 GT coupe for almost 2 years now and I've only just decided to get a car charger for my phone...

Well, the car charger didn't work... come to find out that the fuse had actually blown. For all I know, the fuse was blown when I bought the car. Anyways, I replaced it... and tried the car charger... it worked once and then blew again. I was told that it might have been the brand that I bought, so I went and purchased a 'name' brand and tried that, which also blew.

I replaced the fuse with the exact same fuse that was in it... a 20.

Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Does the fuse blow right away? Or only after you have plugged something in to the socket, or only once you try to turn that device on?

Can you see if there is anything stuck down in the socket? My car has a socket in the center console as well. Perhaps a dime fell in there and is shorting it out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Does the fuse blow right away? Or only after you have plugged something in to the socket, or only once you try to turn that device on?
I'm not actually sure, I've never replaced the fuse, turned on and off the car and then gone back to check and see if it blew or not. I've always just tried my car charger... so, I will go ahead and replace the fuse (thank goodness I have a whole bunch of them!), turn the car on and off and then check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Can you see if there is anything stuck down in the socket? My car has a socket in the center console as well. Perhaps a dime fell in there and is shorting it out.
I did have a look in both sockets and nothing was in either, I will check again with a flashlight just incase there is something very small that I missed the first time.

Thank you for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Legend

Garage
You could try using a bigger fuse. Mine blew one day and I replaced it with a 25 bc thats all i had at the time. Works like a champ.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J dog View Post
You could try using a bigger fuse. Mine blew one day and I replaced it with a 25 bc thats all i had at the time. Works like a champ.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I thought that if you put the wrong fuse in that you run the risk of damaging your electronics?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Installing a larger fuse runs the very real risk of overdrawing & overheating (& subsequent melting) of the circuit wires which often will melt other wires in the harness & create a huge problem. Don't ever do it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Legend

Garage
well you told me hahaha

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM

I had the same problem. My solution was this... I pulled the side panel off and the wires coming from the back of the cigarette lighter were taped from the factory but the tape was somewhat melted (I live in tx). So I just retaped them the best I could and put plastic wire covers over them. Fixed it, and no fuse has blown again. Hope your fix is as simple as mine!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by J dog View Post
well you told me hahaha
If a fuse is blowing then there is too much current being drawn through it & the fuse is just doing it's job of protecting the circuit.

When you install a larger fuse than the circuit wire size calls for it's the same as leaving out the circuit protection device altogether. The wire may blow/open before the fuse blows/opens.

I've no idea what load you have on that power port circuit but it would be much better to create a completely separate circuit with a larger size wire & use the correct size fuse to protect that size wiring.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM

I know I had a similar problem, with the 12V outlet in the center console.
I always used to for my phone charge/ ipod charger and one day it stopped working.
After hunting down the fuse and replacing it, it was fine for the last 6 months so far.
having the '06 V6, I'm not sure it after 5 years of use(at the time) the fuse just decided to blow?...
but yes. NEVER use a different fuse than what is OEM, it's just bad news
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 PM

Where is the lighter fuse located? I was using one of those plug in air compressors and it blew and now I can't use my radar detector. How is it labeled in the owners manual and is it the same for the outlet in the console box? Thanks

Last edited by marlin60; 09-18-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: additional info
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:33 PM

its in the trunk, that same exact thing just happened to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in