Overstarting ever get addressed? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Overstarting ever get addressed?

My friend thought it was hilarious this weekend when my 4 month old car sounded like a 15 year old car on its last legs trying to start.

Did anyone ever get this problem resolved? I figure there's no point taking it into the dealer to look at as it's pretty rare and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it happens. Therefore the chances of them duplicating it are slim.

My guess it would be an issue with the starter motor.

I don't care so much that it happens occasionally (although I would prefer it didn't happen) if it's not hurting anything. Is it possible though that this issue is doing damage to the engine in some way?

Edit: Actually, upon thinking about it I may not have an overstarting issue. I'm not sure, you guys tell me. Occasionally when I turn the key in the ignition it will start to turn over. If I let go of the key the engine will still try to start for a few seconds before it finally catches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:52 PM

Stop trying to start the car like you would a normal car. Do not hold the key to crank the engine, simply turn the key to the start position and let it go quickly. The computer controlled bump starter will not be confused this way. I have had fewer over-cranks using this method.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:46 PM

I took the car in for the same issue of course they could not get the car to do it while it was in the shop.
So now I have a pad of paper on the dash and I mark how many starts before it does the overcrank again.
So far it has done it at after the 18th start and 22nd start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM

There shouldn't be a "special" way to start the car. The conventional way should be fine. It is an ecm issue I think (not enough fuel upon startup?). We'll see, mine is doing it more often lately.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 03:57 PM

same problem

okay so i am having the same problem. It's actually going to the dealership tomorrow to get the recall fixed. I'm going to see if they can find out whats wrong. Odds are they won't since it's so random when it does this. Maybe they will finally figure it out and come out with a recall.

I also turn the key quick and do not hold it but it still happens no matter what
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 PM

do you guys jump in and turn the key from off to start with no delay? I usually turn mine to run and let the fuel pump run and shut off before I start to crank.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTIDEVIL
There shouldn't be a "special" way to start the car. The conventional way should be fine. It is an ecm issue I think (not enough fuel upon startup?). We'll see, mine is doing it more often lately.
bigbengt67 is right, just turn the key and release immediatly. There is indeed a 'special' way to start these cars.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrunner_pei
bigbengt67 is right, just turn the key and release immediatly. There is indeed a 'special' way to start these cars.
Nope. That's how I do it, and it's happened doing that.

Edit: Note, he says he has had fewer overcranks doing it this way, not none. Also, if there was a special method why wouldn't it be in the manual?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 PM

my dealership said it was a hot start problem and they had to download the newest info to the computer... it still does it but only 2time in the last 2ish months as to where it was doing it 10 times a month before at least!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyRed
my dealership said it was a hot start problem and they had to download the newest info to the computer... it still does it but only 2time in the last 2ish months as to where it was doing it 10 times a month before at least!
Eh, it's pretty rare for me, more of annoyance. Did they give you any info on why exactly it was doing that or if it was damaging anything?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Mine does it cold also. I think that it occuring less when you tap the key to start the car is just a coincidence, just my $.02
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius
Edit: Note, he says he has had fewer overcranks doing it this way, not none. Also, if there was a special method why wouldn't it be in the manual?
I occasionally get a start where it cranks a fraction of a second too long, but no where near as bad as it used to be. When it used to happen frequently it was usually after the car had sat for a few days. My computer has never been updated either.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
i tend to disagree with the 'hot start' comment by your dealer....the number of times mine did that was after it sat overnight in the garage and then started it first thing in the a.m., definitely on a 'cold' engine. as a matter of fact, this is the ONLY time i can remember it happening to me......
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Action
i tend to disagree with the 'hot start' comment by your dealer....the number of times mine did that was after it sat overnight in the garage and then started it first thing in the a.m., definitely on a 'cold' engine. as a matter of fact, this is the ONLY time i can remember it happening to me......
See Id honestly have to say that I dont think it has ever done it to me on a cold engine... Only when I would get in it and say run to the store 1.5mi or so away, shut it off and run inside. When Id get back in the car and ready to leave it would do it. Hmmmm who knows!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
See Id honestly have to say that I dont think it has ever done it to me on a cold engine... Only when I would get in it and say run to the store 1.5mi or so away, shut it off and run inside. When Id get back in the car and ready to leave it would do it. Hmmmm who knows!
Thats when I notice it too. Doesn't do it very often..maybe once every 100 manual starts. I almost expect it to happen when I use the remote start though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in