Rattling noise coming from under the hood. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Rattling noise coming from under the hood.

Hi there, I have an 05 G6 and I just started to notice that I have a really loud rattling noise coming from under the hood. It gets louder when I rev my engine. When I open the hood, I looked at the timing belt and it seems to be wobbling back and forth, like it's not completely in place. I'm wondering if the chain is going bad.

If this has happened to anyone else, does it sound like the timing belt/chain? Or something else? Does anyone know approximately how much it costs to replace?

Thank you,
Peace<3andG6.

PEACE, LOVE AND G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM

i am not a mechanic by any means i just tinker as a hobby but where are you looking? because i went out and looked at my car same engine and all to see if i could see the timing belt/chain and all i can see in the serpentine belt on the left of the engine, if that belt is wobbling that would moreless be where the noise is coming from.

i would start by removing ur belt and inspecting each one of the pully's for any kind of play if they wiggle then that would be the problem by what u described
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Yes, you're right. It must be the serpentine belt then. It's the belt to the left of the engine. But then it sounds like it's coming from everywhere around the engine, even over by my tires. So I'm not sure if it's coming from deep inside or if it is the belt wobbling.

From what I can see, I think G6s have a timing chain instead of a belt. Maybe the chain is loose? I don't think you can see it from just looking straight into the engine. I've heard they're extremely hard to get to and replace, so I'm guessing a mechanic would have to be able to tell if it was that.

PEACE, LOVE AND G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM

From what I have read, if your G6 is around 100K than generally the chains start to loosen up. Someone posted that it took them 4 hours start to finish to replace it.
Then again I luckily haven't had this issue yet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, just my luck, I went and got it looked at and it's the back right catalytic converter. Asked them if maybe it was just the heat shield. Nope, it's coming directly from the cat itself. Looking at $900 as there's only one dealership in my town that even has the part. And of course, my warranty just expired.

Woopie!

PEACE, LOVE AND G6.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...5304#post95304

posted by another member a little while ago. I'm not sure if it would have any effect for you. but you could always try asking about it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Fed warranty is 8 yr 80 K. Mine is 15 yr 150 K, Ca emissions.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM

dont ever buy from the dealer unless u have no choice they are pro scammers/retards i think someone already posted the part# buy it off the net save some money and then have a friend dad guy next door who has the tools put it on for u if u cant find help take it too a muffler shop i promise u will save atleast 350$$$ <---this crap adds up lol if you were around denton texas i would be more than happy to load up my tools and fix it for ya but anyways im glad it wasnt a major prob
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM

If its the converter even a muffler shop would be half as much

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM

I had that same rattling sound but turns out it wash just a heat shield. If you havent check that out before blowing 900 bucks lol

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in