Slow acceleration .... Pls help - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Slow acceleration .... Pls help

Hello pls help

My wife has been putting 93 premium gas in her 07 pontiac g6 2.4 v4 and now it bearly goes u can floor it and nothing check engine light has came on saying cat in bank 1 is bad but from y knowledge a bad cat shouldn't make your car run bad ....

So when we accelerate it almost seems like it looses power then picks back up but then revs up to the 3 or 4 grand mark before shifting

First question running 93 in her car is bad or good ? Second question why can b the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

That's just exactly what a clogged cat would do to drivability.

Your cat is covered by the emissions warranty for 8yr/80K (& for longer periods in some cases).

Personally I think you're wasting your money on 93. My 2.4l engines have always run fine on 87.

This extension may apply if you have the 4 spd tranny:

__________________________________________________ ________

#10134A: Special Coverage Adjustment-Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension - (Aug 24, 2011)

Subject:

10134A – Special Coverage Adjustment – Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension

Models:

2006-2007 Chevrolet Malibu

Equipped with 2.2L Engine (L61)

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

2006-2008 Pontiac G6

2008 Saturn AURA

Equipped with 2.4L Engine (LE5) and 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (MN5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin has been revised to include 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5). Please discard all copies of bulletin 10134, issued November 2010.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers of 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5) may comment about the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. This may be due to erosion of the mat within the catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Dealers are to perform the necessary diagnostic steps to determine if the catalytic converter requires replacement. The customer should not be charged for performing the diagnostic check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. A labor code has been provided to submit claims for such diagnosis. Any additional necessary diagnosis and repairs that are not related to the catalytic converter are not covered by this special coverage. The customer should be informed that any further service that is not covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be covered by this special coverage.

For 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 17, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 17, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn AURA vehicles: Vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 23, 2011, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 23, 2011, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2006-2007 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles equipped with a 2.2L engine (L61); 2006-2008 model year Pontiac G6 and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5) and 4-speed automatic transmission (MN5).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Last edited by greenman; 06-19-2012 at 06:55 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM

A bad cat WILL affect your engine performance. Last year mine failed on me and the engine light came on. My car would rev incredibly low and barely accelerate.

My Progression Page

2006 G6 2.4L Sedan, chrome Eagle Eyes, painted interior trim, K&N Drop in filter, resonator delete, Pioneer 3200DVD, JL Audio speakers, painted calipers, and MORE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Keep it factory baby!

My car is in the shop new for same problem. I had a clogged cat (covered by warranty stated above) needed precat 02 sensor and basket on exhaust manifold. Cost just over 200 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Keep it factory baby!

However with no cel on, they may not find anything. I took my car up there 3 times before the light came on and only found problem after light came

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

My light came on the other day but came back off .... Thanks guys really helpful .... I'm going to take my wife's car to delete ship today and find out .... Lol I drive a g8 gt mine doesn't have that Warrenty lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
My cars acting weird too below 2k it seems noticeably sluggish but above it accelerates like normal any thoughts?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It's been my experience with newer cars that if you run a higher octane fuel then what is needed for an extended period of time, You can super heat the cat and melt everything inside hence clogging it up bad.

There really is no point in spending the extra money on high octane gas all the time. Unless you get a tuned PCM so it can actually gain something off the extra octane and run properly.

Sure you can put a tank of premium in it every so often, but it's really not required. Instead I'd just throw a can of seafoam in to clean everything up, Good idea to do around season changes. Seeing as the ethanol content goes up in colder weather.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by becksmerc View Post
My cars acting weird too below 2k it seems noticeably sluggish but above it accelerates like normal any thoughts?
Turns put mine was the cat. and it was covered under Warenty didn't have to pay a dime .... As far as yours goes I'm not sure I mean mine at times would almost cut off its kind of funny cuz the mechanic that talked to me explained it as really having to fart and having your ass clogged lol .... Cruising6 that's exactly what he said about rubbing high octane gas that it melted and caused it to clog .... I would of never thaught it would of done that
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

from a GM bulletin:

#05-00-89-072B: Fuel and Oil Additives - Facts and Myths/Maximizing Fuel Economy

Use the Recommended Grade (Octane) Fuel

Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owners manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in