Fan runs with car off - Pontiac G6 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
 
Fan runs with car off

Does anyone know I have a 2009 gxp and when i shut the car of the fan continues to run or even turn on if it isn't running already. I have had the car for two years and been through two summers and don't ever recall experiencing this up until approx. 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have this happen? Is it normal or possibly a bed sensor or relay? I have no codes and no engine lights on.
ledger64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Sounds like the engine is running hot. What's the engine coolant gauge reporting?



greenman is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ky
Posts: 31
 
Yeah, sounds like the engine is running hot (as greenman said) If the engine is in fact not running hot and is still doing this it could be a coolant temp sensor. My grand am acted up like that. As soon as the key was turned the fans kicked on, temp gauge shot to red, and the idling was as if I had a blown head. Replaced a $10 sensor in it and straightened right up. It is something to at least check. A way of testing it is to unplug the sensor (car will run a bit bad) but if the fans straighten up you'll know that is the problem. Just some ideas man. not the best of mechanical and am only speaking from experience.
Goderek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:52 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goderek View Post
Yeah, sounds like the engine is running hot (as greenman said) If the engine is in fact not running hot and is still doing this it could be a coolant temp sensor. My grand am acted up like that. As soon as the key was turned the fans kicked on, temp gauge shot to red, and the idling was as if I had a blown head. Replaced a $10 sensor in it and straightened right up. It is something to at least check. A way of testing it is to unplug the sensor (car will run a bit bad) but if the fans straighten up you'll know that is the problem. Just some ideas man. not the best of mechanical and am only speaking from experience.
Without ECT sensor input the fans will run constant with the engine running.



greenman is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, Ky
Posts: 31
 
Ahh. I did not know that the fans would run constant on these cars with the sensor unplugged. Thanks for clearing it up man
Goderek is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
 
OK i think it was just a low coolant issue. i topped the overflow off and they haven't come back on. BTW unplugging the ect sensor does not turn the fans on. It probably works opposite if the sensor goes bad it probably closes the circuit and the fans would stay on I didn't try jumping the terminals though but that would rule it out.
ledger64 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledger64 View Post
OK i think it was just a low coolant issue. i topped the overflow off and they haven't come back on.
If the level was low, you probably have a leak. How much did you have to add?

Quote:
BTW unplugging the ect sensor does not turn the fans on. It probably works opposite if the sensor goes bad it probably closes the circuit and the fans would stay on I didn't try jumping the terminals though but that would rule it out.
I'll have to do some research on that finding. Computer control has gotten very complex.



greenman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G6/2.0L Runs after key removed loyalsubject Problems and Solutions 1 03-06-2012 09:01 AM
no engine power runs fine however GMlover Problems and Solutions 28 08-05-2011 06:32 PM
How do you Increase the remote start time your engine runs? THECATMAC Problems and Solutions 3 11-08-2010 05:48 PM
Woman Phones 911 after McD's runs out of McNuggets Snake Off-Topics 2 03-06-2009 10:56 AM
G6-GTP 2006--Runs Hot mollytim Problems and Solutions 3 07-15-2006 04:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome