Fan runs with car off - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Fan runs with car off

Does anyone know I have a 2009 gxp and when i shut the car of the fan continues to run or even turn on if it isn't running already. I have had the car for two years and been through two summers and don't ever recall experiencing this up until approx. 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have this happen? Is it normal or possibly a bed sensor or relay? I have no codes and no engine lights on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Sounds like the engine is running hot. What's the engine coolant gauge reporting?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 AM

Yeah, sounds like the engine is running hot (as greenman said) If the engine is in fact not running hot and is still doing this it could be a coolant temp sensor. My grand am acted up like that. As soon as the key was turned the fans kicked on, temp gauge shot to red, and the idling was as if I had a blown head. Replaced a $10 sensor in it and straightened right up. It is something to at least check. A way of testing it is to unplug the sensor (car will run a bit bad) but if the fans straighten up you'll know that is the problem. Just some ideas man. not the best of mechanical and am only speaking from experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 11:52 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goderek View Post
Yeah, sounds like the engine is running hot (as greenman said) If the engine is in fact not running hot and is still doing this it could be a coolant temp sensor. My grand am acted up like that. As soon as the key was turned the fans kicked on, temp gauge shot to red, and the idling was as if I had a blown head. Replaced a $10 sensor in it and straightened right up. It is something to at least check. A way of testing it is to unplug the sensor (car will run a bit bad) but if the fans straighten up you'll know that is the problem. Just some ideas man. not the best of mechanical and am only speaking from experience.
Without ECT sensor input the fans will run constant with the engine running.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Ahh. I did not know that the fans would run constant on these cars with the sensor unplugged. Thanks for clearing it up man
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

OK i think it was just a low coolant issue. i topped the overflow off and they haven't come back on. BTW unplugging the ect sensor does not turn the fans on. It probably works opposite if the sensor goes bad it probably closes the circuit and the fans would stay on I didn't try jumping the terminals though but that would rule it out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledger64 View Post
OK i think it was just a low coolant issue. i topped the overflow off and they haven't come back on.
If the level was low, you probably have a leak. How much did you have to add?

Quote:
BTW unplugging the ect sensor does not turn the fans on. It probably works opposite if the sensor goes bad it probably closes the circuit and the fans would stay on I didn't try jumping the terminals though but that would rule it out.
I'll have to do some research on that finding. Computer control has gotten very complex.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in