Broken Oil Pan Drain Plug - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Broken Oil Pan Drain Plug

So I did a little searching around here, but I think i have a pretty unique problem.

I was changing the oil on my 2008 G6 3.5L, and started to unscrew the drain plug, but being that it was 7:30 AM and I guess my brain was not fully turned on yet, I turned the socket wrench clockwise and broke the drain plug.

The threading was left engaged to the drain pan with no hex head to unbolt it. So i decided to use a bolt extraction kit, and it pushed the thread into the engine.

My question is what is the clearance between the camshaft and the rods and the bottom of the drain pan?

Can I leave the threading in the bottom of the drain pan without damaging the engine? If not, are there detailed instructions available for removing the drain pan? A link would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chotchkey View Post
So I did a little searching around here, but I think i have a pretty unique problem.

I was changing the oil on my 2008 G6 3.5L, and started to unscrew the drain plug, but being that it was 7:30 AM and I guess my brain was not fully turned on yet, I turned the socket wrench clockwise and broke the drain plug.

The threading was left engaged to the drain pan with no hex head to unbolt it. So i decided to use a bolt extraction kit, and it pushed the thread into the engine.

My question is what is the clearance between the camshaft and the rods and the bottom of the drain pan?

Can I leave the threading in the bottom of the drain pan without damaging the engine? If not, are there detailed instructions available for removing the drain pan? A link would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Chiltons book has a how-to. I'd just replace the pan.

FWIW, I have been using Fumoto pop-open oil drain valves for a long time without any issue. You'd need to search for the correct one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OXUPOQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003T7XUE4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QJVEFDWDNAQ4RKBMJT8

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You could drill out the old bolt and re-tap it for a new one, But that is best done off the car, So you'll need to pull the pan anyways and replace the gasket in that process, I wouldn't recommend drilling it while attached to the motor.

As greenman put it, replacing the pan would probably be the easiest and best option. Only problem I see is a large oil spill seeing as you can't drain the oil before dropping the pan. Unless you just punch a hole in it, haha

Autozone has oil pan gaskets for $20-$25
But I found the oil pan on GMPartsDirect for just under $100 and it looks like it comes with the gasket.

http://gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
Just enter your vehicle info and then you can just do a search for oil pan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

When I tried extracting the bolt, the remaining threading was pushed into the oil pan allowing the oil to fully drain, so then there was about 1/2" long x 1/2" thread laying in the bottom of my oil pan.

Anyway, I called my uncle who is a GM mechanic and he said it was nothing to worry about. There is a metal baffle plate on the bottom of the pan which will separate the bottom of the pan (where the threading is laying) and the rods. So I bought a new plug and replaced the filter, and now it's running fine (with the thread in the oil pan).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:00 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hope all works out. I've seen mods where people attached a small magnet to the end of the drain plug, So every time you pull the plug you can wipe off any metal shavings... if any exist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in