Car dies at idle but drives fine - Help - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Car dies at idle but drives fine - Help

2005 Pontiac G6 GT

Okay so first I got caught in some flooded streets downtown and was forced to drive through a puddle. Made it halfway and a truck's wake caused my car to die. I did not try to restart...immediately jumped out and pushed car to higher ground. Water was about 6 or 8 inches deep.

When I tried to start my car it stuttered but started and white smoke came out of tailpipe. Car starts every time with no issues. Idles okay sometimes and then a little rough other times. However, when I first get in the car and come to my first couple of stops it will die everytime. Once I get going for awhile I don't have any issues and can come to a stop without any issues and car idles. I can feel it not idling as smooth as it should sometimes though. I have run fuel injector cleaner through a couple of times....no help. I have had the oil changed and air filter changed...no help. My check engine light is on...the first time I had it checked it said 4 o2 sensors were bad so the guy at autozone thought that was not right and recommended I reset and if it came on again to come back and see if we get a different error or the same one. So i am going back there today. It seems to me that my car is lacking the air it needs at cold start and then once I start going it gets that air so the issues go away. Not sure...I just don't want to take it to the shop just to find out it was a simple fix that I could have done myself!!

Any recommendations?

Last edited by saverre; 07-05-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Give me the exact codes it's producing & I'll try to help.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

I went back to Autozone and had the codes re-read. I did not get the exact codes but he told me it was showing two o2 sensors bad (Bank 1 and Bank 2??) Not sure if that is correct but I told him I knew where two sensors where...one down by the radiator and toward the back down below the spark plugs....he said those where the two that need to be replaced. I have to go to a different Autozone to pick up the parts and I can have them give me the exact codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Here are the codes:

PO131 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PO151 Bank 2 Sensor 1
PO154 Bank 2 Sensor 1
PO155 Bank 2 Sensor 1
PO174 Bank 2 System Too Lean
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by saverre View Post
I went back to Autozone and had the codes re-read. I did not get the exact codes but he told me it was showing two o2 sensors bad (Bank 1 and Bank 2??) Not sure if that is correct but I told him I knew where two sensors where...one down by the radiator and toward the back down below the spark plugs....he said those where the two that need to be replaced. I have to go to a different Autozone to pick up the parts and I can have them give me the exact codes.
First thing I'll tell you is taking auto repair advice from an autozone store clerk can cost you a lot in both time & money. I've seen it way too many times. Their interest lies in selling you parts. Enough said on that.

My advice is to just get the codes.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Here are the codes:

PO131 Bank 1 Sensor 1
PO151 Bank 2 Sensor 1
PO154 Bank 2 Sensor 1
PO155 Bank 2 Sensor 1
PO174 Bank 2 System Too Lean
It looks like that cold bath didn't agree with the sensors at all. Given the codes & the age of the car (assuming you're over 100,000 mi) unless you know that the O2 sensors have ever been changed I'd probably be inclined to just replace all four but that's up to you. You definitely should replace the two forward sensors now. The Chilton's for G6 has a good how-to on replacement.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Greenman,

That's exactly what I did...replaced the fwd sensors and that seemed to do the trick...car seems to be running perfect now. My warning light comes on and back off every now and again so I probably will go ahead and replace the other two to be on the safe side. The fwd sensors were black so I am sure the others need to be replaced as well and might be what is triggering that warning light. thanks again!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Thanks Greenman,

That's exactly what I did...replaced the fwd sensors and that seemed to do the trick...car seems to be running perfect now. My warning light comes on and back off every now and again so I probably will go ahead and replace the other two to be on the safe side. The fwd sensors were black so I am sure the others need to be replaced as well and might be what is triggering that warning light. thanks again!!
I would encourage you to get the codes read again before doing anything. A basic code reader is only twenty bucks now:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341944834&sr=8-2&keywords=obd+code

Last edited by greenman; 07-10-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in