Should the A/C Compressor run when the car starts? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Should the A/C Compressor run when the car starts?

Alright, in trying to help another user solve some A/C lag problems I finally found the source of a noise I've heard since I bought the car. On a cold start, usually the first start of the day right after the engine kicks over you'll hear a kind of knock. I thought it was the engine shifting after start up but I've come to learn it's the A/C kicking off.
Here's a video that showed me this.

The A/C is at the very top, you can just barely see the pulley and clutch.

You'll see it's engaged when the engine starts, then it quickly disengages.
Then I turn it on so it re-engages.

I'm wondering should the A/C do that? I've had a host of A/C issues when I first bought the car and was assured it's repaired and in good working order...

Here's that video:

Also the entire climate control was OFF. Until I switched it on after the engine was running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM

My compressor makes the same noise when I turn it off and on though I'm not sure about startup. I have the auto climate control and its hot out right now so the AC stays on when I start up. But I'll check after work and see how it goes.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I have the manual climate control. But If it's off it seems to be one while the engine starts and then quickly shut off, just seems odd..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Was raining when I left work but I'll check in the morning when its cool out.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Here is a much better video I shot today.
First start of the day, the clutch on the A/C seems to engage during cranking and as soon as the engine fires up it'll disengage.
Climate Control was OFF

Last edited by CruisinG6; 07-11-2012 at 11:36 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Haven't been able to view your videos but the answer is no, the a/c clutch should not engage during engine cranking (or until the engine speed reaches 600 rpm for that matter).

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hmm, Now I wonder what could be causing it, It's not a sticky clutch, I'm leaning more towards something sending the signal to the clutch during start up. It's not every time though...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've created a looped GIF from my video, It just cranks runs then restarts.

Seems to run a little fast, oh well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in