catalytic converter is rusted- is that the problem? if so, any warranty? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

catalytic converter is rusted- is that the problem? if so, any warranty?

Hi, I have an 06 G6 with 46K miles on it. I purchased it in December. It has been running well until several days ago. I noticed it seemed to be loud when I hit the gas and accelerate. A friend heard it and told me I probably have a leak in my exhaust or may have a bad catalytic converter. So I did some research on the G6 with catalytic converter problems, and it seems most people who have problems with it, experience loss of power. I do not experience (or have not yet) any loss of power or had the car stall, or even sound like it was going to stall. It is just loud- thatís all. Nor have I had any check engine lights or any other error codes on the display. The best way to describe it is when I accelerate from a stop to a start, it sounds like a very loud motorcycle reving the engine. I look at my RPMís when I do that and it appears to be normal, it doesnít skyrocket or anything. The only time it is noticeably loud is when the car is parked (but running- idling) or if I go from stop to start, or if I am driving and I accelerate a lot (for example 30 MPH to 60 MPH would make a loud sound during the acceleration). But for example if I am driving at a constant speed of around 50 MPH the sound is not that loud, nor is it that loud if I make a very slight acceleration, for example 50 MPH to 60 MPH.

Called my local dealership up and they told me they can look at it and if they determine its a catalytic converter problem they will warranty it but if it is a rusted pipe or rusted exhaust then they will take it off the lift and charge me $50 in diagnostics and give it back to me unrepaired.

So I would hate to spend $50 just for them to tell me I have a problem with it so was hoping to do some troubleshooting myself before I take it in to be looked at. I listened under the car (with it running) and the sound is definitely coming from the front end. Sounds like just before the catalytic converter, or in that general area. The next thing I noticed is it looks like my catalytic converter is rusted out. The other pipes donít look to bad (just from looking under the car, I donít have any jacks with me to lift it right now where I can lift it and crawl under it to check it out further). I took a few photos and was wondering if it is likely it is the catalytic converter that is bad? Also would the warranty cover rust? (I would assume it would, but figured I would check. After all I live in New England and the car has no history of flood so I donít see why rust would not be covered).

I put my hand over the exhaust pipe in the back (with the car running) and I could feel warm air shooting out but I did not smell any fumes on my hand after about 5 seconds of holding my hand in front of the pipe. So would they likely cover this under the catalytic converter warranty?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03119.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	3277

Name:	DSC03120.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	3278

Name:	DSC03122.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	3279

PS one more piece of info- the car had a clean carfax record in December (when I purchased it) but was involved in a front end driver side collision (I was not at fault since I tried to swerve out of the way) and I ended up clipping the side of my car. The insurance spent nearly $7K to fix that one. That accident was back in February. I got my car back right around mid march. The car has drove fine until now (didnít drive funny when I got it back or anything). See photo below for damages.

Name:	DSC02679.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	3280
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Take it anywhere they do muffler/exhaust work & have them inspect it. Shouldn't cost anything. Have them show you where the problem lies & get an estimate. The cat warranty is (at a minimum) 8yr/80000 miles.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Good to know, I will do that tomorrow. I figured all shops would charge just to look at it. Would the cat. still be covered under warranty if it is all rusty? Or would they say warranty is void due to excess rust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq702 View Post
Would the cat. still be covered under warranty if it is all rusty? Or would they say warranty is void due to excess rust?
They are covered for 8yr/80,000 mi, rusty or not. FYI, your pictures are of the mufflers, not the cats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in