New brakes make grinding/shuddering noise when almost stopped. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

New brakes make grinding/shuddering noise when almost stopped.

So I just put on new rotors and ceramic pads myself for the first time today! yay! But once I tightened everything back up and did a road test, I'm no longer happy. The brakes, when almost stopped (low speeds), will shudder/grind to a stop. Its very unnerving because the mirrors shake and everything.

Is this normal for new pads and rotors? I cleaned everything with brake cleaner, all the padsare in the correct spots and I pumped the brakes before I drove it. I looked at the brake fluid level and it seems to be a tad low (maybe 1/2" or so). Could this be the problem? Or did I just massively mess something up?

Any help is appreciated!

btw, I am using ceramic pads with slotted rotors from r1concepts(all brand new).

MODS : 35% tint front, 25% rear, CRABS CAB, K&N cone filter, Racingline strut tower bar, painted calipers silver, LED replacement bulbs in tails with resistors, upgraded wheels to 18" GTP wheels.

To come : cross-drilled/slotted front rotors, exhaust(?), LED interior bulbs, lowering springs(?), LED third tail.

Last edited by patricktt; 07-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Sounds like your fluid is within spec.
Is it a loud grinding sound?

I never worked with slotted rotors but it sounds to me like the brakes just need to break in. You may be feeling the pads just running through the slots as you come to a stop. I've read about users saying they make a weird sound when braking at low speeds.

If nothing seems out of the ordinary then I would recommend driving a little bit and get the pads and rotors to seat with each other and fully brake in. As long as there is obviously nothing negative, like you can see something grinding or etching into the rotor.

I'm assuming when your at speed and you apply the brakes they work and sound just fine, only once u get to a stop it makes the noise, which makes me lean towards them just needing to be broken in.

Hopefully someone with slotted rotors can chime in and give more info.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

good call on the breaking in. After driving around for a bit and doing some moderate 30-5 stops and 60-30 stops, the shuddering has gone away! The pedal feels a bit mushier than normal so ill have to keep an eye on that (maybe top off the brake fluid?). But so far so good! Thanks!

MODS : 35% tint front, 25% rear, CRABS CAB, K&N cone filter, Racingline strut tower bar, painted calipers silver, LED replacement bulbs in tails with resistors, upgraded wheels to 18" GTP wheels.

To come : cross-drilled/slotted front rotors, exhaust(?), LED interior bulbs, lowering springs(?), LED third tail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
if the pedal is still mushy you may have air in the system, so you might want to bleed your brakes.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok is that as simple as opening the bleeder valve on each caliper and depressing the pedal until only straight fluid comes out?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Basically yeah.... if your not sure just do a little research, maybe some you tube videos. Its pretty easy.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Bleeding is fairly easy, You can even do it with a small vacuum pump.

It is possible you still have some break in room to go. I did my brakes and they felt a little mushy until the pads fully seated. You can tell by looking at the rotors, Especially the rears, The pads contacted towards the edges but not towards the center of the rotor. That little bit of space multiplied by all the pads on all the wheels can give you that little bit of a mushy feeling.

But bleeding the brakes and adding new fluid is never a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in