Front Wheel Bearings & Seals - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Front Wheel Bearings & Seals

My '06 Pontiac G6, 51K miles, is beginning to give me some problems. Two months ago I brought it in the local shop, after some braking w/ vibration/shimmy issues, and had to get the front and rear brake pads and rotors replaced. Cost a lot of money. After the service, the guy at the shop said the car was in good shape and didn't recommend any other services.

Two months later and now I'm dealing with a loud humming sound which gets louder when I drive over 40 mph. So I brought it into Firestone yesterday since they offered a free brake inspection, and they said the front bearings and seals are loose and need to be replaced. I got the invoice and I'm scheduled to have this work done in 2 weeks. The invoice shows a total of $741.63 . (For parts, it's $194.99 each (qty 2), and $210 for labor. They're also recommending a tire alignment service at $89.99.)

I'm not experienced enough to do this myself; otherwise I'd buy the parts online and do it myself. The reason I didn't get it done was because I'm on a very tight budget and wanted to look at other options. I also have plans to drive 4 hours away and back this coming weekend. If you were me, would you drive the G6 or rent a car? One of my colleagues mentioned that the noise wasn't that loud (yet) and if this had been his car, he wouldn't have even brought it in to get it checked out. Can any of you give me some insight/advice on what you would do in this situation. I'd appreciate it! How can I get the cost down to the lowest possible price? Thanks!

Last edited by TrevNMich; 07-19-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Rent.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevNMich View Post

Two months later and now I'm dealing with a loud humming sound which gets louder when I drive over 40 mph. So I brought it into Firestone yesterday since they offered a free brake inspection, and they said the front bearings and seals are loose and need to be replaced. I got the invoice and I'm scheduled to have this work done in 2 weeks. The invoice shows a total of $741.63 . (For parts, it's $194.99 each (qty 2), and $210 for labor. They're also recommending a tire alignment service at $89.99.)

I'm not experienced enough to do this myself; otherwise I'd buy the parts online and do it myself. The reason I didn't get it done was because I'm on a very tight budget and wanted to look at other options. I also have plans to drive 4 hours away and back this coming weekend. If you were me, would you drive the G6 or rent a car? One of my colleagues mentioned that the noise wasn't that loud (yet) and if this had been his car, he wouldn't have even brought it in to get it checked out. Can any of you give me some insight/advice on what you would do in this situation. I'd appreciate it! How can I get the cost down to the lowest possible price? Thanks!
Options that come to mind:

Only replace the side that's gone bad (making the noise) for now.
Get more free estimates.
I'd be a nervous wreck driving on a noisy wheel bearing because it could deteriorate fast.
I would not skip the wheel alignment. You can ruin tires fast running out of alignment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys! I decided to cancel my plans so I won't be driving much this weekend. I'm contemplating the idea of trading in the G6 but I haven't made up my mind. I'll probably look around for more free estimates, see how low I can get it, and then make a decision from there.

By the way, I just had a 4-wheel alignment done a couple months ago.. would you still recommend another one if I get it serviced next week? Final question: do any of you know of a good online shop where I can purchase these parts? Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevNMich View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys! I decided to cancel my plans so I won't be driving much this weekend. I'm contemplating the idea of trading in the G6 but I haven't made up my mind. I'll probably look around for more free estimates, see how low I can get it, and then make a decision from there.

By the way, I just had a 4-wheel alignment done a couple months ago.. would you still recommend another one if I get it serviced next week? Final question: do any of you know of a good online shop where I can purchase these parts? Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't trade it in while it's noisy. Do you know which side is making the noise?

You won't need a re-alignment then (though the shop will probably try to tell you otherwise).

Do you have ABS? Amazon has several choices for your car:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/2006/Pontiac/G6/ref=au_pf_cr_1?ie=UTF8&carId=011&partsNode=15720051

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, greenman. The link to Amazon isn't working.

Unfortunately I can't tell which side is making the noise. I can just tell it's coming from the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in