Cabin filter location? / funky smell coming from vents. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Cabin filter location? / funky smell coming from vents.

Hey guys,

I recently started smelling a funky sour smell coming from the vents when i have my ac on. It never used to smell funny before. I have a feeling i might need my cabin filter replaced....If so where is it located at and how do i come about replacing the filter. I have a 05 G6 V6 base model.

Hope this helps guys..Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Legend

Garage
i have this same issue. i talked to someone about it and according to them we don't actually have a cabin filter. it is possibly a problem with the condenser or evaporator? whatever is in the dash. and apparently for parts and labor ( its very labor intensive i was told) they said i was looking at north of a grand total. i about shit my pants. so i just blast the a/c on high and it goes away in like 10 seconds or so and then doesn't come back until i crank my car again after sitting for a few hours or more.

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
we dont have them, we have the place to put them, and its even marked for the filter but I guess GM decided to cut that corner. If you do a search someone did a good "how to" to add one.

but for now your best bet is to turn on your a/c make sure its not recirculating then spray some lysol or something in the vents under your windshield outside the car. that should help. then you can recirculate it and spray some in the intake vent on the dash inside the car.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:05 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Can't add much to that post except to open your windows when spraying the Lysol (unless you really love the smell of Lysol, I guess). Turn on the blower to high & you can feel the air being sucked in at the outside foot of the windshield. The kooties have taken up residence on your evaporator. Because GM left out the filter (for some inexplicable reason that I will never understand) the mold spores are not being trapped out & they thrive in that humid environment. The Lysol thing needs to be a regular maintenance item to keep them at bay. I recommend adding the cabin filter. It's pretty easy.

FYI: Walmart sells a Lysol knockoff for less than half.

This maintenance fix works for most. Only occasionally are the big guns needed:

Service Manual | Document ID: 2291070
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#99-01-39-004C: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating) - (Jun 12, 2009)

Subject: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating)

Models: 1993-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)

2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

All Equipped with Air Conditioning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 and 2010 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-01-39-004B (Section 01 -- HVAC).

Condition
Some customers may comment about musty odors emitted from the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system at vehicle start-up in hot, humid conditions.

Cause
This condition may be caused by condensate build-up on the evaporator core, which does not evaporate by itself in high humidity conditions. The odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak into the interior of the vehicle or foreign material in the HVAC air distribution system. Follow the procedures in SI for identifying and correcting water leaks and air inlet inspection.

The procedure contained in this bulletin is only applicable if the odor source has been determined to be microbial growth on the evaporator core inside the HVAC module.

Correction
Many vehicles currently incorporate an afterblow function within the HVAC control module software. The afterblow feature, when enabled, employs the HVAC blower fan to dry the evaporator after vehicle shut down and this function will inhibit microbial growth. Technicians are to confirm that the customer concern is evaporator core odor and that the vehicle has the imbedded afterblow feature, as defined in the SI document for that specific vehicle model, model year and specific HVAC option. Refer to SI for enabling the afterblow function. Vehicles being delivered in areas prone to high humidity conditions may benefit from having the afterblow enabled calibration installed prior to any customer comment.

Important: If the vehicle is not factory equipped with the imbedded afterblow enable feature, it may be added with the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module Kit (P/N 12497910 or AC Delco 15-5876).

Important: When installing the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module, you MUST use the included electrical splice connectors to ensure a proper splice. Complete detailed installation instructions and self testing procedures are supplied with the kit. If necessary, the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module may be installed underhood if it is protected from extreme heat and water splash areas.

To immediately remove the evaporator core odor on all suspect vehicles, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its re-occurrence. To accomplish this, perform the following procedure:

Vehicle and Applicator Tool Preparation
The evaporator core must be dry . This may be accomplished by disabling the compressor and running the blower fan on the recirc heat setting for an extended period of time.
Note: Compressor engagement will cause the evaporator core to remain wet and will prevent full adherence of the Coiling Coil Coating to the evaporator core surfaces.

Verify that the air conditioning drain hose is not clogged and place a drain pan beneath the vehicle.
Place a protective cover over the carpet below the evaporator core.
Remove the cabin air filter, if equipped, and cover the opening prior to applying the Cooling Coil Coating, as the product may clog the filter. If the cabin air filter appears to have little or no remaining life, suggest a replacement to your customer.
If the HVAC module has a blower motor cooling tube, be careful NOT TO SPRAY THE COOLING COIL COATING INTO THE BLOWER MOTOR COOLING TUBE .
Attach the Flexible Applicator Pressure Spray Tool (J-43810-20A) to a compressed air line operating at 586 kPa (85 psi) to 793 kPa (115 psi).
Shake the bottle of Cooling Coil Coating well. Screw the bottle onto the cap on the applicator tool's pick-up tube.
Note: The pick-up tube is designed for 120 ml (4 oz) and 240 ml (8 oz) bottles and should coil slightly in the bottom of a 120 ml (4 oz) bottle.

Use one of the following three methods to apply the Cooling Coil Coating.
Important: If the Pressure Applicator Spray Tool (J-43810-20A) is not available, the Cooling Coil Coating is also available in an aerosol can (P/N 12377951 (in Canada, 10953503)).

Application Through Blower Motor Control Module Opening
Remove the blower motor control module (blower motor resistor). Refer to the applicable procedure in SI.

Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.

Apply the Cooling Coil Coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor blower motor control module (blower motor resistor) opening.

Use the flexible wand to direct the Cooling Coil Coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.

When the application is complete, install the blower motor blower motor control module (blower motor control module).

Application Through Blower Motor Opening
Remove the blower motor. Refer to the applicable blower motor removal procedure in SI.

Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.

Apply the Cooling Coil Coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor opening.

Use the flexible wand to direct the Cooling Coil Coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.

When the application is complete, install the blower motor.

Application Through a Hole in the HVAC Module
If neither of the two previous application methods are available, it may be necessary to drill a hole in the HVAC module.

Locate an area of the HVAC module between the blower motor and the evaporator core. Drill a 10 mm (3/8 in) hole in the HVAC module. Use caution to keep the drill clear of the evaporator core and the blower motor fan.

With the air distribution vents closed and the blower motor fan speed on HIGH, insert the applicator tool into the hole and spray the Cooling Coil Coating into the airstream toward the evaporator core.

Use a GM approved RTV sealant to plug the hole in the HVAC module.

After the Cooling Coil Coating application is complete, start and run the vehicle for approximately 10 minutes, with the compressor disabled, HVAC mode set to Recirculate/Max, heat set to full warm, blower motor fan speed on high, and one window open approximately 12 mm (1/2 in). This cures the Cooling Coil Coating onto the evaporator core surface.
While the engine is running, rinse the applicator tool with warm water to prolong the life of the tool. Be sure to spray warm water through the nozzle to rinse out any residual Cooling Coil Coating still in the capillary pick up tube, otherwise it will dry and clog the applicator tool. Also remove the small green valve from the bottle cap and rinse it thoroughly while rolling it between two fingers and then reinstall it. If this valve is clogged , the Cooling Coil Coating will not flow through the applicator tool.
Shut off the engine and enable the compressor again.
Verify proper HVAC system operation.
Remove the protective cover from inside the vehicle.
Remove the drain pan from underneath the vehicle.
Reinstall the cabin air filter if necessary.
Parts Information
Important: The Cooling Coil Coating listed below is the only GM approved product for use under warranty as an evaporator core disinfectant and for the long term control of evaporator core microbial growth.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I've had an instructer say he would drop an air purifier or two in the car and keep it all locked up while it did its job.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Gpof59

There is a Thread: How to install a cabin air filter. Search-Pontiac g6 cabin air filter, scroll down to How to install a cabin air filter. It's under the G6Performance.com site.

Last edited by pof09G6; 07-26-2012 at 01:25 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Matt did the how to here too https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ghlight=FILTER

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, i saw the thread, but no pics :/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM

I have 2011 G6 4Dr. I started smelling an extremely foul odor coming from the vents. Turns out there's an overflow drain for the main drain below the main drain that drains the water and debris from the windshield. I had to cut the plastic guard off to get the mouse but sure enough there was the dead mouse! Nasty!

I did have to remove the windshield wipers and the AC intake cover (10 Min) not too bad though saved a trip to the mechanic

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47850945/Mouse_Location.jpg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 PM

I sprayed fabreese in the vents on the inside to get rid of the smell, only thing, now the front speakers work for only awhile and very low sound, the back still work fine thou. at 1st the cd player didn't work either, but after a few days it now works fine.. what in the f-ing world did I screw up? is this a fuse or did I fry the radio? this is a 2009 G6 sudan without the Monsoon system.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hellifino; 08-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0311 View Post
Thanks guys, i saw the thread, but no pics :/
Yeah, I was hosting the pics on my ISP but they decided to drop that service. I swear they did it with no notice but maybe I just never saw it... Add to that the fact that I have been hella busy with work stuff and have not logged in here since late May...

I still have the pics and will put them on another site and update the thread with new links.

Edit: fixed the links here and on the other site. What fun. I'm gonna have to decide what other threads to update.

By the way, if you want to buy a pre-made filter instead of the ugly hack job I did, one of the members on the G6P site says the Fram CF10361 he bought at Wally World fits fine. I updated the How-To with this info.

~ MattInSoCal

Last edited by MattInSoCal; 09-03-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: More info added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in