Retractable roof problems - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Smile Retractable roof problems

Hello,
Hoping someone will contact me about a solution for the problem I have been having EVER SINCE I PURCASED my pontiac G6 in early June.
The dealorship ( which isn't a GM dealership ) has had it to a company for repairs three times, and the repairs not lasting any longer than one week.
Problem.... there are three panels at the back window. One large one and two smaller ones on each end. the two smaller panels slide under the big panel when the roof is opened. I have had both smaller panels, break, the brackets that hold them in place break, which causes the panels not to hold in place.
Someone help!!
Can the retractable hardtop get out of alignment?
I am at my wits end, and almost wishing I did not purchase the car with all the grief. Since early June, I have only had the car 20 days for driving, the rest of the time it has been in for repairs, which do not last.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Hi Heather
Yes, it could... but that is not your problem, The top is a work of art! You do have a problem with those panels, whoever been playing with them don't know what their doing, something is wrong with the alignment of the push-pull rods of those panels, (owned mine for 1 1/2 years, use all the time) I would snuggest taking to a GM dealer, (or if you know someone that works on aircraft to look at it) (simple rigging) sometimes it pays to pay! And you'll be happier! Hope this will help sorry to hear! Having a top that don't work is no fun. (just another coupe) Good Luck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Glenn,
I am hoping to get into a Pontiac Gm Dealer this week, and hopefully they can fix it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotbaby56 View Post
Hello,
Hoping someone will contact me about a solution for the problem I have been having EVER SINCE I PURCASED my pontiac G6 in early June.
The dealorship ( which isn't a GM dealership ) has had it to a company for repairs three times, and the repairs not lasting any longer than one week.
Problem.... there are three panels at the back window. One large one and two smaller ones on each end. the two smaller panels slide under the big panel when the roof is opened. I have had both smaller panels, break, the brackets that hold them in place break, which causes the panels not to hold in place.
Someone help!!
I am at my wits end, and almost wishing I did not purchase the car with all the grief. Since early June, I have only had the car 20 days for driving, the rest of the time it has been in for repairs, which do not last.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Heather
The middle piece is called the shelf, the two pieces are called the "batwings". I know because I had the cable and left batwing hinge break. It cost about $500 for both parts and labor. It took the pontiac tech 8 hours to replace the hinge so I'd take it to a GM dealer. It won't be cheap, but they should fix it right.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Hi Heather, Checking to see if you got your problem fixed. Glenn

Connermt... What are you driving? Just came down with the same problem... but... the driver batwing moved during the opening and the roof ripped it right off! GM has broken 2 cables now, Monday their going to try for the third time! Hope they can get it right this time! All good. right now... Got to wait till Hurricane Isaac passes before the top goes down again!

Last edited by Glenn; 08-25-2012 at 07:46 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Connermt... What are you driving? Just came down with the same problem... but... the driver batwing moved during the opening and the roof ripped it right off! GM has broken 2 cables now, Monday their going to try for the third time! Hope they can get it right this time! All good. right now... Got to wait till Hurricane Isaac passes before the top goes down again!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Hi Everybody,
Finally got the problem fixed, been working for over two weeks now! Yippee !! Just in time for some more hot weather here. I finally had a GM dealer fix the problem. They had qualified techinicians trained to work on those tops. It should of went there from square one, but the dealor I bought the car from ( Dodge, Chrysler ) was taking it to someone who obviously knew nothing. Keeping my fingers, and toes crossed that it stays fixed, cause I am loving my car now, without the problem. Have a great day, Heather
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Have an 08 GT Vert. My wing was sticking then popping out during folding. Finally it broke and it hung up the roof. Working good now though (fingers crossed)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Well so far so good. Got mine back yesterday, and everything seems to be working smooth! Happy now! Isaac gone and now back too Topless!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 PM

Ok need some help the cable broke on the driver side bat wing and I didn't realize it when putting down the top and it broke the plastic cover off the and the hing off the main rear deck lid. Can I have it reattached it looks like a screw pulled out or loose or do I need to buy that side hing I found one for $129 on ebay don't believe it has a cable with it so I would need it where can I get that? I had you can still order it. Also is there a schematic of this I can download and print out, I have a body shop willing to try and fix it for me. The local Chevy Buick dealer who welded a trunk hing for me last year would not do this even with me buying the part. I don't have the time and not sure I have the skill to do it myself I am desperate but don't know where to turn to, I live in Owensboro, KY and the care only has 52,000 miles on it i bought it from the original owner with only 15,000 and it was taken well care of and kept in a garage, and looks new still. Thanks for any help anyone can give me on the parts and what is needed to fix it so I can pass it along to the shop that is going to try and fix it, unless someone knows of another place close to me that knows how to fix it. My car is a 2008 G6 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in