Need Help ASAP! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Need Help ASAP!

OK, Had to join to post, so here i am... I am working on my girlfriends Mom's 2006 G6 2.4L... It died on her yesterday and I am relatively sure a component in the ignition is malfunctioning. So my question is this- What controls the firing of the coil packs and everything on this car? is there an ICM and if so where is it? It is impossible to find any info through search engines on this topic, so im coming to your community for help. Apparently the car lost power under acceleration, then she pulled over and turned the car off, and then it would not crank again, we towed it back to the house and i have been looking for info ever since. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. the "D" key on this computer is horrible, so if any are missing my bad.

thanks,
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hi Drew! The firing of the coils, Injectors, A/F ratios. EVERYTHING in the engine is controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) That is located in front of the battery box. Towards the front of the vehicle. It's easily visible it has cooling fins on it and two large plugs connected to it. This controls everything, If this has gone bad. It usually says "ERROR" on the odometer and of course the car will refuse to do anything.

Have you checked the battery and all connections? Any corrosion or loose grounds? Any idea how old the battery is? Does she remember seeing any lights on the dashboard or messages on the stereo before it shut off? If you are able to, have you tried scanning for codes?

When you try to start it, Does everything turn on normally and it just won't crank? Or does nothing come on, no lights or anything?
Just trying to see if we can narrow it down.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_G6_2.4 View Post
OK, Had to join to post, so here i am... I am working on my girlfriends Mom's 2006 G6 2.4L... It died on her yesterday and I am relatively sure a component in the ignition is malfunctioning. So my question is this- What controls the firing of the coil packs and everything on this car? is there an ICM and if so where is it? It is impossible to find any info through search engines on this topic, so im coming to your community for help. Apparently the car lost power under acceleration, then she pulled over and turned the car off, and then it would not crank again, we towed it back to the house and i have been looking for info ever since. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
2006 G6 2.4l
eng stalled & won't crank

That's not enough info to hazard a guess but the first place I'd look is at the alternator's output. If the alt quits the engine will run until the battery is depleted then it'll stall & the batt will be unable to crank the engine.

Last edited by greenman; 07-30-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in