Speedometer reading too high after stereo install - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
06 G6 2.4L

Unhappy Speedometer reading too high after stereo install

Yesterday I installed an amplifier and in process had to remover the stereo to hook up wiring. Everything went find. No broken plastic or broken bones!

However, started off to work this AM and noticed the speedometer was reading 75 MPH and I was creeping along about 35 to 40.

What happened? What and where should I begin to look?

I did have to disconnect the battery and got a little spark reconnecting, but thats normal. No smoke or burn smells.

Just simple Amp install

Any help????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Does it say KPH instead of MPH now at the bottom of the speedo as well? (MPH on the left under 0. KPH on the right under 140)

Is the stock stereo still in place? If so just go through the menu until you get to units and change it Imperial instead of metric. I'm fairly certain you're stuck in metric mode.
If you replaced the stereo with an aftermarket stereo then you may need a DIC adapter kit to change those settings or you may just need to reconnect your stock stereo change the setting and hopefully be good.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 08-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
06 G6 2.4L

CruisinG6,
You are correct!
I made the menu change and everything is fine now.
Thank you kindly!

Ps.. Love ur G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hey no problem! Glad that was the solution!

And thanks, a lot of time and effort has gone into my G6, And not done yet! haha
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:54 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Good call CruisinG6. The personalization settings should not be lost though. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe it's a glitch that only involves a certain version of BCMs. I remember that there have been reports of mileage resetting to zero after a battery disconnect in early model G6s.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

That's what I thought, that some BCMs must be different, Is there a way to tell which version or type you have? Maybe we should get a thread comparing BCMs and see if can be whittled down to a problematic line of BCMs..

Also to me it sounded like he left the stock head unit in. If that's the case maybe the head unit defaulted to metric when it was re-installed? Which I'd still find a little odd haha
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
That's what I thought, that some BCMs must be different, Is there a way to tell which version or type you have?
You'd need a high-end scan tool to know what firmware version it's running. The hardware version is marked on an external sticker.

Last edited by greenman; 08-05-2012 at 01:37 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

well I guess I could obviously see what the hardware version is, but what could would that info do really? haha But thanks for that info greenman! Good to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in