2008 3.5 startup issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

2008 3.5 startup issue

My girl has a 2008 3.5 g6. She was complaining about issues she was having when trying to start the car. She told me that usually when she would be having these problems, and gave the car some gas on startup, it would start. I read on here that that was a sign of the throttle body needing to be cleaned. I took it off and cleaned it as best i could with throttle body cleaner. Not everything came off, some of the wear was really ground in and wouldn't come off. This was about 2 weeks ago. She text me today and said that it wouldn't start, and she was stuck with her brothers car. I really want to fix this problem she is having. She replaced the battery about a month ago i believe. Should i look into buying a new replacement oem throttle body, or what else can i do to fix it? What does it sound like is the problem? Any and all info and tips is greatly appreciated because i know nothing about these cars, and really want to fix this as she is really upset. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I would not recommend replacing anything yet.

No check engine lamp?

What EXACTLY happens when you try to start it?

How many miles?

Hard to start when hot or cold?

Last edited by greenman; 08-09-2012 at 09:03 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM

I just had a similar issue. My wife had the car and called me saying it would not start. It would turn over and not fire up. I tried and occasionally it would act like it was firing and then die. There were no codes. I finally got it to fire up and it ran fine. Not sure which direction to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

A hard start/no start condition could be a number of things.

First thing I would do is look at the air filter, MAF sensor and throttle body. Replace the filter if needed and clean the MAF and TB if needed.

After taking care of that I would start checking spark plugs and wires. But that's even less likely. If possible I would check the fuel pressure from the fuel rail on the engine. Make sure it gets up to spec and stays there, and stays where it should be during cranking.

It also wouldn't hurt to put a can of seafoam or injector cleaner in the tank. Sometimes a cruddy injector could cause problems, but it would usually manifest as an intermittent misfire or poor/rough idling/driving.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadney View Post
I just had a similar issue. My wife had the car and called me saying it would not start. It would turn over and not fire up. I tried and occasionally it would act like it was firing and then die. There were no codes. I finally got it to fire up and it ran fine. Not sure which direction to take.
Year, engine, mileage?

Was there any previous history of hard starting? If it was sudden onset, I'd start with CruisinG6's advice on checking the fuel pressure. The pressure spec depends on year & engine but it needs to be at least 50psi. Fuel injection systems are calibrated for a narrow pressure range so low or high is equally bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in