Wheel Vibration Issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Vibration Issue

Hey guys,

So I want to bounce some ideas off of you guys who are more knowledgeable of car stuff than I am...so about a year ago I replaced my rotors (and pads) with r1 concepts cross drilled and slotted rotors....now about a year later I am getting wheel vibration when applying the brakes lightly...its goes away when I brake hard...I refuse to believe that my rotors are already warped again seeing that they are less than a year old. I do drive aggressively though. What I am wondering is my tires are old as hell and dry rotted and need replacing bad (going to replace them soon) and I experience slight wheel vibration at high speeds (65-70mph) which I know is due to the tires but is their a possibility that the old bad tires cause the vibration while braking? I know I will find out soon enough when I replace them but I just want to get your guys input....also one other thing and the reason why I am unsure as to why my wheel vibrates when I brake is when it gets really hot around here (mid 90's or higher) I get a creak when turning at low speeds from my front right wheel...I have no clue what it is so I am worried there is something messed up with my front end that is causing the vibration while braking and the creaking noise...but now that its cooler out (70s-low 80's) the noise is completely gone. I searched it on here and I think someone said replacing the control arm fixed it? I dont really know too much what I am doing with that stuff so I figured I would ask you guys before I take it in....going to get new tires in a week or so and if that doesnt fix my vibration issues I am taking it in....thanks for your input and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Drums101; 08-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM

with going 65-70 could be patterns in the road cause i just put summer tires on in march... and my other a/s tires which are new too! i still feel a vibration in my left front, its just the road... other than that i dont really know

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87797
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Worn tires could cause vibrations while lightly braking, but to me it just sounds like the holes and slots running past the brake pads as you brake lightly. Like you're braking lightly enough to make contact but not enough to completely grab the rotor so you feel the surface of the rotors through the pedal and wheel. When you put new pads how did the hardware clips look that hold the pads? Did you put some grease on em as well as on the back of the pads? Sometimes slight movements can manifest as sounds, other times as vibrations. Since you mentioned the vibrations go away while braking heavily I'm sure your rotors aren't warped.

When you get new tires installed just have the shop do a front end check while they have it in the air. It could be a worn ball joint (requiring a new control arm) or a tie rod. Sometime beginning to go but hasn't really worn through yet. You could also jack up the front end and support it with jack stands so the entire front end is off the ground and simply grab each wheel and try to wiggle it in every direction. Any movement is not good. Except for the wheel spinning or the steering turning of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply I am pretty sure its not the road because I have taken the route many times going to school and I never had the vibration before...the vibrations (speed/braking) started about the same time a few months back....also some more info I am running the stock tires that came with the car at a little over 62k miles so I know that I am due
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

CruisinG6 thanks for the reply....and its more severe than just a little vibration when stepping on the brakes(I know what you are talking about with the pad not yet grabbing the rotor) so I know its not that...and I think thats a good idea having the shop take a look at it when I get new tires I will do that....and the last thing I put the car up on jack stands and taken off the wheels to try and move the hub around and both sides do wiggle a little bit when I put alot of effort into it (yikes) But I will try it with the wheels on and see if that makes a difference. thanks again

edit: oh and yes I did grease the clips when I installed my new brakes

Last edited by Drums101; 08-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea with the wheels on you'll have more mass hanging from the suspension and it'll be easier to wiggle out any loose or getting loose components. I'm still pretty firm in believing your rotors are fine. I've read about users with r1concepts that ran them for 50k without issues. It's probably a vibration coming from whatever component is worn in the front end. I turned my stock rotors when I did my first brake job and they would be perfectly smooth until they got hot. As soon as the brakes were warmed up it was warp city, annoying as hell. But every time they cooled down it was smooth again. So I eventually replaced with r1concepts and have since had not a single issue.

Often you can hear some clunking when you wiggle around the wheels. I had a ball joint go out and when the car was in the air, you could easily grab the wheel and wiggle it back and forth and get like a 1/4" of clear movement. Maybe your's isn't as bad but it's enough to feel some vibrations while stopping... and the bad tires could be a part of that, being slightly off balance or just going out of round at speed and then slowing down they come back but with some resistance... if that makes sense. ha
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

it totally makes sense man thanks for the help I really appreciate it...I will let you guys know what the shop says after I have them do a front end check thanks for the help
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

No problem, I'm interested to see what the resolution is!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Update: So I got new tires today...this fixed the vibrations at high speeds but not the steering wheel vibration while braking....I asked the guys to look at the front end while it was up in the air and they said they did and nothing looked like it was wrong or anything out of place (they were in a hurry so I doubt they took a good look) I am scheduling an appointment to take it in to GM to get my oil pan gasket replaced under the powertrain warranty so while it is in there I will have them look at the front end hopefully they can tell me what the deal is with the braking vibration and noise when turning at low speeds (which really isnt there anymore)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Good to hear the new tires fixed the vibrations. Hopefully you don't have a bad axle or anything of that matter.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

so some bad news...took the car in and both of the control arms in the front end are shot those need to be replaced....also they claim that my front rotors are warped....of course my rotors are past the warranty period so that sucks too haha...at least I am getting the oil pan gasket changed under warranty. I am just left wondering how the hell all this happened? lol my car only has around 60k miles on it how did both of the control arms go so bad (it was to the point it was unsafe to drive) and how did my rotors warp in under a year like that? this sucks
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Funny how one shop finds bad control arms and the other over-looked it. It's probably both of the ball joints that went bad, but being one piece with the control arm requires replacing the entire unit. I had to replace my passenger side control arm at like 30k, it happens.

I find it hard to believe your rotors are warped already, Unless you beat the crap out of your car and wait til the last second to brake and therefore slam on them all the time... But if they are infact warped, and they feel that way after the new control arms, then I would contact R1 concepts. They do have a 1 year warranty/return policy: http://www.r1concepts.com/policies.aspx Thing is I don't think it covers warping.... but i'm sure if you complain enough they'll do something
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I dont beat the crap out of my car but I do drive aggressively....the shop said that there is still some vibration when braking but I have not noticed it yet so I will give it some time before I get new rotors....I looked up the one year warranty and unfortunatly I am out of it by like 3 months...I purchased the rotors 15 months ago and sat on em for like 4 months before I got the time to do a total brake job...at least my rear pads have a life time warranty so I can trade them in
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Man I am having bad luck with my car lately...everything seems to be going out at the same time....So after I got my control arms replaced everything was dandy for a few days then I started to notice really loud road noise...it was only when going over 35mph and it would make a sound for a second then off for second...kinda like a womp womp sound lol...it would increase with speed (in noise and frequency)....then I noticed that I had the tiniest bit of vibration going like 65+ so I looked it up and found it could be the wheel bearings....took it into the tire place where I just bought my tires to rule out bad tire/unbalanced and they said it might be a wheel bearing and so I took it into a merlin and they said its def the front left bearing and the front right needs to be replaced too its not as bad though....so damn lol guess when I put my new rotors on the front I am gonna be replacing my wheel bearing assembly too. another $250 bucks I did not want to spend. Thanks to you guys on here I found out it is def a job that I can do. any other tips you guys can offer about getting the job done the easiest way would be appreciated..I have already read the how to on here and watched the youtube video so I am fairly confident I can get it done
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Wheel bearings are covered under the powertrain warranty for 07-09 if that applies.

Last edited by greenman; 08-30-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in