Rear Bumper Off - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Rear Bumper Off

My car is in the shop due to an accident and I was curious as to what some of the components are.

The first picture is the passenger side from afar. The next picture focuses more on my curiosity which is the small black rectangle with the plastic louvres. The left side has the same rectangle but seems to have covered over with some rubbery epoxy. As you can see it was neatly done so I am not sure if that is factory or not. The reason I am curious is because I once had a leak in the trunk of my car and wanted to know if that is how they fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6243[1].jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	3409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6246[1].jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	3410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6251[1].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	3411  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

That thing on the passengers side is there to relieve the air pressure from inside the car when you close the doors with the windows up. Obviously when everything is closed and you leave your car a positive pressure builds inside the car when you close the door, that could make it harder to close the door all the way. That vent is there to release the air as you close the door, there's little rubber flaps over the vent to prevent water from getting inside when it rains.

When you can have all the doors and windows closed, trunk too. then go to the passenger door, and just open it and close it while keeping an eye on those vents, you'll see the flaps move up and as air rushes out from the car.

It looks like you have some damage on the drivers side there and chances are the vent on that side was broken or something, It looks like someone just patched it up but not sure how they did it. I've had my rear bumper off numerous times and I know for a fact I have those vent deals on both sides.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You don't really need both vents & if you are not having issues with the doors or trunk lid not fully closing when you slam them shut I'd probably leave well enough alone. They're a pretty common leak source.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in