overheating issues - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

overheating issues

Hello. I have a 07 Sedan with about 85,000 miles on it. I've had the car for about a year, and I slowly noticed that the coolant seemed to be leaking out. In the winter, it would effect the heat, and this summer in hot temps, it would need to be filled up frequently. Then, the other night I was driving home and it overheated and decreased in speed. Next, the oil went from 55% to 0%.
I have put in a sealant in both the oil and the radiator, and am going to get an oil change and flush the coolant...but will that do it, or do I have a blown gasket? (huge fear) This is my first car, and I'm learning as I go. I don't want to destroy the engine. I haven't driven it except to run the engine to get the sealants through. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by newearth11 View Post
Hello. I have a 07 Sedan with about 85,000 miles on it. I've had the car for about a year, and I slowly noticed that the coolant seemed to be leaking out. In the winter, it would affect the heat, and this summer in hot temps, it would need to be filled up frequently. Then, the other night I was driving home and it overheated and decreased in speed.

A breach in the cooling system is an issue that needs immediate attention. The cooling system must be capable of holding pressure to prevent boiling of the coolant. Boiling coolant will not cool the engine effectively. Steam pockets in the engine will create areas that will simply not be cooled.

Quote:
Next, the oil went from 55% to 0%.
How did you arrive at that? Please explain.

Quote:
I have put in a sealant in both the oil and the radiator, and am going to get an oil change and flush the coolant...but will that do it, or do I have a blown gasket? (huge fear) This is my first car, and I'm learning as I go. I don't want to destroy the engine. I haven't driven it except to run the engine to get the sealants through. Any thoughts?
While a sealant can be effective at resealing the system it can also create it's own set of problems. I would only use them as a very last resort on a car I didn't care about. They are a poor substitute for a repair.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Quote:
Next, the oil went from 55% to 0%.
How did you arrive at that? Please explain.
My son's 2002 3.4L Impala dumped the radiator recently, and apparently his oil life went to 0, too. His "change oil" light was on in conjunction with the "hot engine" light, with only 3000 miles since the last oil change.

So, I changed the oil after I got the new radiator in it. He's had no problems since, so hopefully there was no damage done when the radiator went.

As for the OP's problem, I agree, something needs fixin' and I don't think a sealant's gonna do it. I'm guessing radiator - they can leak intermittently - but it could be something else, too. Whatever it is, with it leaking in those volumes, it needs to be found and fixed right away before the engine is damaged.

FWIW, for the three radiators I've replaced in the past ~10 years (2x 2002 Impalas and also a 1996 Dodge mini-van), all three failed at the pan-to-core junction on the driver's side.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by plano_doug View Post
My son's 2002 3.4L Impala dumped the radiator recently, and apparently his oil life went to 0, too. His "change oil" light was on in conjunction with the "hot engine" light, with only 3000 miles since the last oil change.
That clears up that mystery. I did not realize the OP meant the oil life monitor. Thanks

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

The oil life monitor system is a software algorithm that determines when to change oil based on engine operating conditions. There is no oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine operating conditions to determine when to change the oil. I really don't know if engine temperature is taken into account by the system but it is certainly possible as oil breaks down when it overheats. I'll have to research that one.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

It felt like all my car's alarms were going off. The radio told me that I needed an oil change soon, and then flashed the 0%. I have never seen it do that. So, you think I need a radiator?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

So I found out that engine coolant temperature data is factored into the oil life model but could not find out at what temp the oil life monitor determines the oil has burned & needs immediate replacement. But you can be sure the engine got way too hot.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by newearth11 View Post
It felt like all my car's alarms were going off. The radio told me that I needed an oil change soon, and then flashed the 0%. I have never seen it do that. So, you think I need a radiator?
No on the radiator.

If you are still under the powertrain warranty you should have GM pick it up, tow it to a dealer & hope the problem is covered. You would want to flush the sealant out first because that will void the warranty. And get that oil leak sealant out of there now.

If you are expired, you still need a pro to find the leak. Overheating can easily warp the cylinder heads. You may have really screwed the pooch by not fixing the problem in it's early stages.

Last edited by greenman; 08-13-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in