Service Tire Monitor / Pressure Issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Service Tire Monitor / Pressure Issue

I have a 2008 G6 and for about a 1 1/2 months have been having to inflate my rear drivers side tire about every 1-2 weeks because it has a slow leak. Now 2 days ago my radio display showed Service Tire Monitor and my check tire display on my dashboard stays lit. Does anyone know if there is a Technical Service Bulletin or Service Notice (maybe they're the same thing lol!) for this problem? I found a little information about a TSB for this problem on another site, but there wasn't much information given, it just said 08-03-10-006C APR 10 Tires/Wheels - Tire Slowly Goes Flat/Warning Light ON. Could the monitor be the cause of my tire losing air? Checked the NTSB website and couldn't find any information on there about potential notices either. Car had 6k miles when I purchased it in 2008, now I'm just a little past 76k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

My local tire store (les schwab) fixes simple leaks for free. You just need to get it fixed.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again! I was wondering if the tire monitor/sensor could somehow be responsible for the tire losing air slowly? It just seems odd that the monitor/sensor has now gone out on the same tire that I've been having the leak issue with all of the sudden. I don't seen anything in the tire, i.e. a screw, nail, etc...that might be a culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab1213 View Post
Thanks again! I was wondering if the tire monitor/sensor could somehow be responsible for the tire losing air slowly?
The sensor screws onto the valve. The valve could be leaking. No way of knowing without putting the tire under water.

Quote:
It just seems odd that the monitor/sensor has now gone out on the same tire that I've been having the leak issue with all of the sudden. I don't seen anything in the tire, i.e. a screw, nail, etc...that might be a culprit.
What leads you to think the sensor is bad? You said the tire is losing air. The sensor is alerting you to that fact.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

The tire has been slowly leaking air now for a month or so, but just a couple of days ago the car started dinging at me and 'Svc Tire Monitor' showed up in my radio display. Now when I scroll through the various items when I get to the tire pressure for that rear tire instead of showing the psi, it just shows two dashes (--), and the tire display on my dashboard is staying lit now. I checked the tire the following morning and it was inflated ok, it had lost some air since the last time I put air into it late last week, but it was still fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

My monitors are off too, i.e. my drivers side rear tire shows as LF in the radio display, but that's a minor inconvenience now that I know they're wrong.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
My monitors are off too, i.e. my drivers side rear tire shows as LF in the radio display, but that's a minor inconvenience now that I know they're wrong.
There's a manual method to update the receiver when you rotate the wheels or there is a special gadget. Personally, I just mark the original location of the wheels on the rims & call it good.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
The tire has been slowly leaking air now for a month or so, but just a couple of days ago the car started dinging at me and 'Svc Tire Monitor' showed up in my radio display. Now when I scroll through the various items when I get to the tire pressure for that rear tire instead of showing the psi, it just shows two dashes (--), and the tire display on my dashboard is staying lit now. I checked the tire the following morning and it was inflated ok, it had lost some air since the last time I put air into it late last week, but it was still fine.
Sounds like that tire's sensor is bad. Any tire store can replace it & the valve for less than a dealer will charge. The leak could be due to the valve or many other possibilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in