Service Tire Monitor / Pressure Issue - Pontiac G6 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
 
Service Tire Monitor / Pressure Issue

I have a 2008 G6 and for about a 1 1/2 months have been having to inflate my rear drivers side tire about every 1-2 weeks because it has a slow leak. Now 2 days ago my radio display showed Service Tire Monitor and my check tire display on my dashboard stays lit. Does anyone know if there is a Technical Service Bulletin or Service Notice (maybe they're the same thing lol!) for this problem? I found a little information about a TSB for this problem on another site, but there wasn't much information given, it just said 08-03-10-006C APR 10 Tires/Wheels - Tire Slowly Goes Flat/Warning Light ON. Could the monitor be the cause of my tire losing air? Checked the NTSB website and couldn't find any information on there about potential notices either. Car had 6k miles when I purchased it in 2008, now I'm just a little past 76k.
Cab1213 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
My local tire store (les schwab) fixes simple leaks for free. You just need to get it fixed.



greenman is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
 
Thanks again! I was wondering if the tire monitor/sensor could somehow be responsible for the tire losing air slowly? It just seems odd that the monitor/sensor has now gone out on the same tire that I've been having the leak issue with all of the sudden. I don't seen anything in the tire, i.e. a screw, nail, etc...that might be a culprit.
Cab1213 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab1213 View Post
Thanks again! I was wondering if the tire monitor/sensor could somehow be responsible for the tire losing air slowly?
The sensor screws onto the valve. The valve could be leaking. No way of knowing without putting the tire under water.

Quote:
It just seems odd that the monitor/sensor has now gone out on the same tire that I've been having the leak issue with all of the sudden. I don't seen anything in the tire, i.e. a screw, nail, etc...that might be a culprit.
What leads you to think the sensor is bad? You said the tire is losing air. The sensor is alerting you to that fact.



greenman is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
 
The tire has been slowly leaking air now for a month or so, but just a couple of days ago the car started dinging at me and 'Svc Tire Monitor' showed up in my radio display. Now when I scroll through the various items when I get to the tire pressure for that rear tire instead of showing the psi, it just shows two dashes (--), and the tire display on my dashboard is staying lit now. I checked the tire the following morning and it was inflated ok, it had lost some air since the last time I put air into it late last week, but it was still fine.
Cab1213 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
 
My monitors are off too, i.e. my drivers side rear tire shows as LF in the radio display, but that's a minor inconvenience now that I know they're wrong.
Cab1213 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab1213 View Post
My monitors are off too, i.e. my drivers side rear tire shows as LF in the radio display, but that's a minor inconvenience now that I know they're wrong.
There's a manual method to update the receiver when you rotate the wheels or there is a special gadget. Personally, I just mark the original location of the wheels on the rims & call it good.



greenman is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,388
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab1213 View Post
The tire has been slowly leaking air now for a month or so, but just a couple of days ago the car started dinging at me and 'Svc Tire Monitor' showed up in my radio display. Now when I scroll through the various items when I get to the tire pressure for that rear tire instead of showing the psi, it just shows two dashes (--), and the tire display on my dashboard is staying lit now. I checked the tire the following morning and it was inflated ok, it had lost some air since the last time I put air into it late last week, but it was still fine.
Sounds like that tire's sensor is bad. Any tire store can replace it & the valve for less than a dealer will charge. The leak could be due to the valve or many other possibilities.



greenman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Tire Monitor - Reset procedure? jdt141 Problems and Solutions 11 08-24-2015 12:57 PM
"svc tire monitor" and "check tire pressure" dana6189 General Maintenance 2 03-10-2012 03:22 AM
SVC Tire Monitor? Mr Funkhouser Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications 10 11-29-2011 07:10 PM
Tire Pressure Issue swimgal Problems and Solutions 2 06-23-2011 09:12 AM
tire pressure monitor shows incorrect tire location rocr62 Problems and Solutions 3 01-06-2010 08:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome