Speedometer and odometer issues - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Speedometer and odometer issues

I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 V6 3.5L and this morning my speedometer does not work, it just continues to go up and up also I only have around 83k miles on this car but the odometer now reads 131k also the radio display is blank. The car was fine last night and now all this. Any ideas what the hell happened? I have had power steering issues in the past and just got the car back around 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Unless I'm having a brain fart, I can't recall seeing that particular combination of symptoms before. Unless someone else here has, I'd probably recommend a dealer diagnosis for about 100 bucks. It's possible that a code has popped in one of the control modules that would help narrow down the possibilities.

It's also possible it is caused by the work recently done on the car so I would be returning it to whomever did that work.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

83k miles is about 133k kelometers, I wonder (if it's possible) if the stereo shorted out or went bad, hence the blank screen, and it screwed up the settings that control the units (imperial or US) Maybe, it's a constant problem causing the speedo to just not react properly. I agree with greeman on the dealer diagnosis, a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
83k miles is about 133k kilometers, I wonder (if it's possible) if the stereo shorted out or went bad, hence the blank screen, and it screwed up the settings that control the units (imperial or US)
I'll bet you are exactly right on that one again. For whatever reason some BCMs are flipping from miles to kilometers. But without the DIC display on the radio, you can't change it back. So that would account for both the odometer & speedometer symptoms.

The DIC display disappearance could be either a radio, BCM or data bus issue. But since the OP isn't complaining about any driveability problems, my money would also have to be on the radio.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Talking Fixed!!

He is exactly right!!! I got in my car after work and the radio display was actually working again and there I noticed that the temperature was in celcius so I glanced at the mileage and noticed the km. Seriously fixed it in 2 minutes by changing from metric to english!! Wish I had noticed the km on my way into work, would have saved me from a whole day of stressin! Thanks for all your responses
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
He is exactly right!!! I got in my car after work and the radio display was actually working again and there I noticed that the temperature was in celcius so I glanced at the mileage and noticed the km. Seriously fixed it in 2 minutes by changing from metric to english!! Wish I had noticed the km on my way into work, would have saved me from a whole day of stressin! Thanks for all your responses
So I'm curious: Had the car battery been disconnected prior to this issue occurring or did it just seem to happen out of the blue?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Ha! Glad it was solved!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

The Whole Story

A couple months ago I had power steering issues, loud noises when turning, really stiff wheel etc. So we took the car into a shop (I don't wanna say the name but they are a pretty big name and do oil changes and stuff like that) and they said oh you need a new pump. Fine, we schedule a day to take it in but when they get into the work they figure out it's not the pump but the hose, fluid was leaking into the hose and pooling. So they replaced the hose and we picked up the car, it drove fine and we were happy. UNTIL about 3 weeks later when I pulled into a parking spot and white smoke came from under the hood and out the a/c vents and flames yes flames shot out from under the hood. Fire department came and put out the tiny fire that was left, luckily a bystander had a container of water in his truck and put it out almost right away. Had the car towed to a GM dealer they said car was never on fire and no evidence of fire damage so we moved the car to a different dealer. They say yes hose was on fire and fluid also burned but no additional damage. They replace both hoses (sorry I don't know the technical names) and the power steering pump. The battery was shot after all this drama so yes it was replaced as well at this point. When we picked the car up it was explained that when the original work was done the moron who did the work didn't use the isolation clips!!! So everytime my engine torqued it would touch the hose until eventually it was bare and caught on fire. Got the car back and although it smells awful it was fine until this past Tuesday when I pushed unlock on the clicker and nothing happened, pushed lock then unlock twice then the lights flashed and the doors unlocked. Got in to find all this crazy stuff going on. I guess I should also tell you I have after market remote start installed, so maybe this has something to do with it as well. The remote start was installed right after I got the car about 3 years ago though. Geeze what a story, right? lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Those details are important to include when you are asking for help here. I can't say whether that played a role since there was a time lapse between the battery disconnect & your present complaint. Those older BCMs can be touchy about having their power supply disconnected. Some would even zero out their odometers.

Now, as to whether you have seen the last of the blank DIC screen is anyone's guess.

You'll find that many dealer's won't even look at the car if they find an aftermarket remote start system installed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in