Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Convertible Problem

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  boomer 
#1 ·
I've had a 2007 G6 GT since 2008, everything was perfectly fine until today when I went to put the top back up(closed). I'm not sure of the name of the part but the flap that comes up when you put the up didn't open for some reason and basically got ripped off. I can no longer put my top down (well I can if I kind of move the flap around manually but I need two people for this) The part i'm talking about is basically a small flap that comes up, when the top is up it is inside the car right behind the back seats. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could tell me why this happened, and maybe how much it would run me to get it fixed. Thanks!

#2 ·
I have an 08 Vert. There are 3 pieces back there: the center piece I call the deck, and the end pieces the dealer calls "bat wings". My driver's side batwing hinge went bad causing the cable to break. I would imagine the center deck has a similar system. It took 8-9 hours to replace the cable and hinge at the dealer & about $500. If there's no hinge or cable problems, it might not cost you that much to get the deck replaced. But if the deck didn't open, that suggests to me that there was something wrong with a hinge and/or cable.
Doesn't sound good, but hopefully it's not that bad. But you'll never know until you take it in to have it looked at

#3 ·
My passenger side bat wing stopped working yesterday after a loud pop and it looks/feels like the cable is broken where it connects to the rod before the hinge.

Connermt, Did the dealer replace your hinge too? 8-9 hrs seem like a helluva lot of hours. Did they give you any reason why the hinge broke or malfunctioned?

Can you give me any part numbers from your invoice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

#6 ·
Rich
I don't have the part #s with me. What happened was, the hinge went bad (wore out) which caused the cable to break. When they went to replace the cable, they ten found out the hinge was bad. So they replaced the cable and told me not to operate the top until the higne was replaced because a bad hinge could cause the new cable to break. The dealer said repair time is set to take 5 hours which is what I was charged for, but the actual time was 8-9 hours because they weren't familiar with the part.
Hope this helps

#4 ·
Hi TMSP10150,

My G6 developed the same problem yesterday and I can feel that the cable is broken because it bends at a right angle when I move the flap manually. The other working flaps cable stays rigid and curved.

Have you found any solution to yours yet? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Rich

#5 ·
My roof "body hardware, retractable top, stowage compartment, actuator cable Right" has broken as well. This quote is what GM calls this part. By the sounds of it, if your hinge has bent, the next thing to go is this cable. Mine broke (I think) because of a sandal being shoved in the trunk and into the top mechanism when the top was up. When we put the top down, it broke this cable.

This cable can be purchased seperately from the dealer, and RichG6 and I are both going to be trying to fix our cables. I will keep you posted when I have more info.

#7 ·
Hey Connermt,
Thanks for the reply. Upon further review, my cable is definitely broken in 2 places. The part is available online, but I'd like to know more about the hinge in case that was the cause for the cable breaking. The actuator cable attaches to a hinge on the underside of the bat wing that swivels horizontally. Is that the one you're talking about?
What should I look for? Mine swivels easily enough left and right manually. When you say yours was worn out, did it not move or jam? There has to be a reason the cable snapped like that, but it would be an easier fix if the cable just wore out on it's own.
What should I look for or test on the hinge?
Also, if you run across the hinge part #, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for your help,
Rich

#8 ·
I brought my G6 in to a Chevy dealer here in Aurora, CO, and their estimate was 1 hour for the labor $110, and $70 for the cable. They called today and said they installed the cable through the trunk with no problem but as soon as they tried closing it it snapped again. Soooooooo, here we go with the $$$$$$$.

There must be something causing it to snap, the hinges or a restriction of some kind.

#10 ·
Ok need some help the cable broke on the driver side bat wing and I didn't realize it when putting down the top and it broke the plastic cover off the and the hing off the main rear deck lid. Can I have it reattached it looks like a screw pulled out or loose or do I need to buy that side hing I found one for $129 on ebay don't believe it has a cable with it so I would need it where can I get that? I had you can still order it. Also is there a schematic of this I can download and print out, I have a body shop willing to try and fix it for me. The local Chevy Buick dealer who welded a trunk hing for me last year would not do this even with me buying the part. I don't have the time and not sure I have the skill to do it myself I am desperate but don't know where to turn to, I live in Owensboro, KY and the care only has 52,000 miles on it i bought it from the original owner with only 15,000 and it was taken well care of and kept in a garage, and looks new still. Thanks for any help anyone can give me on the parts and what is needed to fix it so I can pass it along to the shop that is going to try and fix it, unless someone knows of another place close to me that knows how to fix it.

#12 ·
I was able to JB Weld my hinge support back on. Mine broke one of the plastic supports that attaches the hinge to the panel. It has only been a month so I cannot speak for the longevity of the fix, but at least it is working again.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.