Recall Notice: Shifter cable locking clips - Page 3 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:34 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I haven't gotten a letter either, but I believe that is because my shifter adjuster piece was already serviced due to an earlier recall. I'm fairly certain it's the same fix.

Here is a picture I snapped, this is behind the motor, on the very bottom left is the exhaust cat, and clearly on the bottom is the Trans Mount.
And circled in red is the part in question, the repair looks like a piece of screen material with a hose clamp around it... pretty high tech stuff here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Were the manual automatic shift GT's not part of the recall? The dealer said I have no open recalls on my 2009.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Just had my second cable kit recall installed. Looks like they added a black retainer, shiny black. Same kit # so could be wrong, it does look different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
Just had my second cable kit recall installed. Looks like they added a black retainer, shiny black. Same kit # so could be wrong, it does look different.

Are you saying they replaced a previously installed clamp on the same car with a different clamp?

post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 PM

The shiny black part was not there before, it was just the grey wrap and hose clamp. I'll ask Monday.
My trunk lift cylinders are weak, to be replaced under warranty. Needed to be ordered.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM

Talking

The black shiny plastic part is the new fix, 2 piece cover over the shift attach assy.
Also received a $50 service coupon for a 14 year old truck, service writer has seen a lot.
Sucking up to us old truck owners, really don't need another truck, only 62K on it.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Who do I contact to have it fixed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Who do I contact to have it fixed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
any GM dealer in North America.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM
New Englander in Midwest

I'm probably going to get scolded here, but I got 2 recall notices re: this issue and have yet to take it to my dealer. Why? I straight up don't trust the dealer that I bought this from. Granted, I got a good deal on my car and whenever I have been in an accident and needed bodywork, they fixed it spot-on, but the service portion of their dealership is shady.

When they sold me this car it turned out to have a bent rim on the rear tire. I argued it with them and they simply gave it 3 alignments instead of replacing the damn rim. After the second alignment I took it to a tire place, paid the $200 and had it replaced, then had them do the third alignment (this was within a month after I had bought this).

To top it all off, this GM dealer had promised me 2 key fobs when I bought the car. I got one- one that worked for 1 month. When I had taken it back for the third alignment I said "my key fob is not working and I cannot use my alarm and remote start". They looked at it and all the did was wipe the contacts with alcohol (I could have done that!!).

Turns out that after I had someone who works in electronics look at the thing he said that contacts on the motherboard itself are totally worn off and they should have seen that when cleaning it and replaced it entirely. So not only did this dealer screw me out of the rim they should have replaced, but the key fob they should have replaced- essentially $400 worth of service items. I think because they sold me the car at a low price $9999 for a G6 GT '08, leather/sunroof, they did not want to put anymore $ into retaining a customer.

Anyway, sorry this post is so long, but I just do not have another local dealer that I trust to bring my car to and I don't have friends who can run me around all over the state to go to another dealer. I just think that bringing my car in- they will screw something up either out of their laziness, stupidity or purposefully tamper with other things to rack up a future service bill.

I'm in a conundrum...
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Hey Metal Lady08

I would be happy to find a different dealer in your area if you would like me to. Please let me know by PM and include your zip code.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 PM

On Tuesday my 09 G6 broke down, the shifter said it was in park but it was going in reverse. Turned the car off and it would not start again. Had it towed to my local garage, they found "shift linkage broke off transmission, repair grommet on shift linkage & reattach to transmission range selector". I picked it up on Thursday and paid them $235.00 and on Saturday the same thing happened! Could this issue be related to the recall in 09 and 12? I took my car to the dealer in August 2010 and they "installed transmission shift cable kit".

More info............
When I had my car at the dealer in May 2013 they "Inspected the Shift Cable, Cover Already Installed". If all this was done already should the shift linkage/cable have broken off the transmission like my local garage said? Should I take it back to the dealer? My local garage wants another $235.00 to replace the shift cable.

Last edited by Paula; 04-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM

My fiances car is not shifting right. She came home last night and when she went to put it in park, it would just go into reverse. I had her turn off the car, now the shifter will not move, the brakes are stiff and we cant turn on the car. She believes that its the same problem that the recall is for. Problem is, the gm said that it was already performed on this car before she bought it and there is nothing they can do about it.

I heard that if the recall is done, and the same problem occurs then they are still liable for it. Is this true? Last time this happened, she had to pay out of pocket, around $500.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 AM

No, GM will not warrant any defects in replacement recalled parts. My shift linkage cable was replaced under recall. 2 years later it broke and left me stranded. I took it back to the dealer and they confirmed that the failed cable was the one replaced by GM's recall but they won't offer any warranty on it. They suggested I pay for the repair (around $500) first and try submitting a claim to GM. I rather replace it with the old original cable than the new cable. The original cable already lasted for 5 years while the new one lasted for 2. It broke without warning. When I placed the transmission in 'Drive' it was actually in 'Reverse'. I stepped on the gas and the car backed up unexpectedly and almost killed someone. Now no one is willing to drive the G6 except me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in