vibration - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

vibration

I have a 3.5 G6 Coupe that had a vibration in mostly the gas pedal and front floor area. Took back to dealer and balanced tires which helped but not fully. Notice mostly from 35 to 55 when accelerating slowly. Nothing major but bothersome for a brand new vehicle. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

vibration

I have been reading past threads about the continental tire flat spots. Most service centers don't have much good to say about them. Has anyone had good results switching tires, or does it not help?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 PM

i had this same thing happen to me. heavy gas pedal vibration at highway speeds. i brought it to my dealer -- they said my rotors were warped and that caused the vibration. they resurfaced them. problem sill continued. i don't think they even tested the car before or after the fix.

after a long vacation of driving last week i brought it to a pontiac dealer where i was staying (vibration at 85mph was brutal!). they suggested tire balance. it seemed to do the trick. the pedals are a lot more stable at higher speeds.

my story probably doesn't help but at least you know you aren't the only one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:54 PM

You are not losing your mind...which is what my dealer has tried to convince me. This board is a God-send! Another G6 owner told me about it. He had happened to stop me randomly in a parking lot to ask how I liked mine as he had bought his wife one...turns out, we had many of the same issues...and there have been MANY! The vibration you mention is one of them. I too have been having that problem since approx 3 months after purchasing my 2005 G6. 90% of the time, it happens on the highway - when slowly accelerating - when the car hits around 55. However, I have also had it happen around 40 miles an hour on in town roads and at higher speeds on the highway. It actually STOPS accelerating at that point and I have to push harder and harder on the gas....through the vibration....it will begin to accelerate slowly (no where near as much as it should for the pressure being applied to the gas) and then at about 62 or 63, it's almost like it wakes up and the gas kicks in, and off I go! FIVE trips to the dealer...told them from day one about the associated acceleration loss and that it seemed like a transmission problem....almost akin to driving a stick that has a clutch on the way out and the gears start slipping. They balanced my tires....THREE times! I told them that wasn't it...apparently, being female, they just assumed I didn't know what an unbalanced tire "wobble" feels like...but they did manage to make a whole NEW and different "vibration" in doing so - a TRUE off-balance wobble! LOL On visit 4, they made me take a tech out in the car (which I had asked for from visit 1). His answer..."I think it's just the gears changing".....AH, NO...I DON'T THINK SO! They then set me up for an appointment at a transmission shop...they kept my car for three days (while the dealer put me in some piece of junk 1990 something Grand Am with 120k miles on it with bad breaks and one headlight....but that's another story!) It was returned to me and they said they could find nothing wrong and that they "couldn't duplicate the problem" They must be out of their mind because I don't even TRY to make it happen, it just does....every time on the highway, regardless of whether I drive or my husband drives...so I have no idea how they could not "duplicate" it. The bad news is...I have no solution for you. I finally gave up and figured, whatever it actually is, something is going to eventually break completely and at that point, I have all my records showing I brought it in and I will just say "told you so". But, I hope that it does help in some small way to know that it is not just you having the problem...just in case your dealer, like mine, tried to convince you of that! Good luck! If I ever come across a solution, I will be back online posting it!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Just a heads up...Call GM, and have them open a case. If you dont...you will continue to get blown off. Thats what I had to do and once that happened the dealerships started to pull their heads out of their butts. If they cant "duplicate" it have them put a data recorder in the vehicle. So when it happens you press the button and it records the data of the vehicle.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

vibration followup

Followup to my original vibration in the gas pedal. I now have 18k miles on the lease G6 and have been to 3 different dealers to fix problem. One did a force balance on the tires which helped a little but not totally. The last one said go back to original dealer and tell them you want new tires anything but Continetal which have a lot of problems. After alot of complaining and dealer rep. they finally put on 4 new goodyear 17" low profile tires. Sad to say this hasn't helped, the problem is still there. Mostly around 45-50 and then at 60. If you put a bottled water in the beverage holder you can see it shake like crazy. Do you think the brake rotors might be the problem? I've been reading on this thread alot of owners have had bad ones.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Problem is the Continental tires. It's probably worse when cold, right? Flat spotting. The rotors aren't the problem unless it's pulsing when you're slowing down.

I got sick of mine and put on some Yokohamas. Almost fixed it.

Replaced those with Ziex 512s. No vibration. Absolutely smooth all the way to the limiter.

(Now, the ride back down from there with these cheesy rotors is a whole different story. Vibrates like crazy until you get under 60, then it's just an annoyance. Had them turned 3 times under warranty, warping came back each time.)

Last edited by otcpharm; 09-18-2007 at 02:36 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 PM

(I know this was all posted a long time ago)
I have the Yokohamas and I love 'em, but I, too, have a vibration in my gas pedal. Did anyone/Has anyone found out another answer to this problem? Is it something with the transmission gears?
I let my brakes get way too bad and there was the huge vibration shake, then after I fixed that I had to replace the steering rack, and there is that vibration in the gas pedal... does anyone think that freaking breaks could effect everything else that much? I mean, is the car that sensitive that everything's gonna get lose and go awry? I feel like this is partially my fault bc I really do wonder about the rotors and whatnot... I really didn't know warped rotors could effect a gas pedal like someone said the dealer told them...

any thoughts/advice?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Thumbs down Vibration Does Occur In The G6!!!

It Seems Like Gm Doesn't Want To Acknowledge The Problem Of Vibration In The 2009 G6. I Been Been Having The Same Problem From Day One! I Have Brought It To The Dealer Insisting That Something Wasn't Right With The Vibration In The Front End Of The Car. They Looked At Me And Said They Would Look Into It And Look At Me Like Im Delusional. (i'm Fully Aware Of How Cars Run, My Little Brother's Pursuit Runs Better!!!) It's A Beautiful Car And Runs Exceptionally Except For This Vibration! I'm Printing Out These Forum Posting And Bring It To My Dealer When I Go In For My Next Oil Change!!! You Are All Not Losing It, It's A Serious Issue!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM

2009 Shimmy

I am having the same problem with a new 2009 G6 Conv GT 18" Goodyear. I now have 2,000 miles & has front end shimmy & stering wheel vibration from day one. Back to dealer 4 times. They say wheels not bent & tires are not out of round. 1st was swap front to back, 2nd found 2 wheels out of balance, 3rd one wheel out of balance, and last week lowered tire pressure to 26 lbs - which reduce the shimmy - but now low tire pressure warning light stay on. Tomorrow i'm going to get GM zone manager. Anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Bl
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis416 View Post
It Seems Like Gm Doesn't Want To Acknowledge The Problem Of Vibration In The 2009 G6. I Been Been Having The Same Problem From Day One! I Have Brought It To The Dealer Insisting That Something Wasn't Right With The Vibration In The Front End Of The Car. They Looked At Me And Said They Would Look Into It And Look At Me Like Im Delusional. (i'm Fully Aware Of How Cars Run, My Little Brother's Pursuit Runs Better!!!) It's A Beautiful Car And Runs Exceptionally Except For This Vibration! I'm Printing Out These Forum Posting And Bring It To My Dealer When I Go In For My Next Oil Change!!! You Are All Not Losing It, It's A Serious Issue!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM

i have 2005 g6 with 65,000 on it... i as well get bad vibration in front end, front seats while driving 45 to 55 mph on a state highway in norther Indiana.. It hits me going home after work to where the vibration and front tires bounce badly.. Going to replace both front axles this weekend or if not earlier after new rotors, brake pads, new tires( Kelly Chargers), and front end alignement as well done so far.. The Front axle replacement is my next step and if that dont fix it well go to the differential, then shocks etc etc I WILL FIND A SOLUTION TO THIE PROBLEM.......
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Has anyone been able to get this problem resolved? I am having basically the came problem. I feel a vibration in my floor boards and seat. The steering wheel does not seem to vibrate. I can also hear a light rubbing / grinding noice when driving on smooth pavement. Most noticable around 20-40mph. The GM dealer recently lubed the intermediate shaft, replaced a control arm and did a wheel alignment.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? I hate to spend money replacing parts that do nto solve the problem.

Thanks
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM

I have a vibration issue aswell. I bout my car with 60k on it. Took it to my local guy and had an alignment and needed a control arm replaced. At that point I bought snow tires on steel wheels b/c my tires were shot from being so far out of alignment. During the winter I would get wobble but I thought it was snow build up. Come summer time I bought new tires and put them on my OEM rims. But now the wobble was more apparent. I had 2 bent rims. So I bought rims....well I wanted to anyways :-). I still had the wobble. My guy drove my car and I told him to beat on it so he could see what I was dealing with. He didn't feel anything. Grrr. So, dealing with the issue I drove 2 months like this. One day I backed out of my driveway and heard a sliding grind. My car drove perfect for a month. I then hit a bad ass pothole and damaged my tire. My wobble came back. Took it to the shop and had the tire replaced. Got the car back and once again drove great. No answer on what happened. Just last week I heard the grinding sliding noise and I have a wobble again.
I don't have the money right now but my guy thinks it could be wheel bearings or cv shafts.

Sorry for the long post, but this is an anyoing issue.

Had a 07 GTP coupe, traded in for my GTI....
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
G6R

Im having the same problem with my gtp. I having vibration form the gas pedal and a rubbing noise. It could be the ball joint.

2006 G6 GTP
K&N CIA, Rockford Fosgate speakers.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6R View Post
Im having the same problem with my gtp. I having vibration form the gas pedal and a rubbing noise. It could be the ball joint.
Sounds exactly like my problem. This seems like a common problem. Why does nobody have a solution? You can't tell me that once a car experiences this problem, that it is unfixable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in