electric steering part XXXIV - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

electric steering part XXXIV

Once again I experienced a lock up right when I started my 05 G6 this morning. I live about a quarter mile from my dealership and I just drove it on in there and left it idling outside the service area.

Inside I was told that they actually have found a true fix for the steering issue. My gal at the Pontiac desk told me "GM has been absolutely no help with this whatsoever" and the fix came internally from the dealer. They actually had a guinea pig car -- an 05 G6 that belongs to the dealership's Finance Manager! He was having the same problem and, according to the woman, said he "put the iron fist down" to get a fix.

That happened a couple of months ago and so far the FM hasn't experienced another lock up -- which is promising since it was happening to him on a pretty regular basis.

The issue -- a sensor in the power assist unit. When I pick my car up and get the invoice, I'll post the part number for the sensor.

Until then I get to jam around town with my Hummer H3 loaner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Awsome people have been looking for this for 2 years thanks!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure that is a for sure fix. From what I remember, some people had the entire steering assembly replaced and still had the problem but I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM

What is weird is i have had the base since the week it came out and i had the steering thing maybe twice while going to pass some one but i have not had it since then at all?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

for me it has only happened three times since march. each time it's happened right after or no more than a minute after start up.

although recently i had begun to feel the wheel start to "tighten" the last few weeks. steering wasn't difficult, but the wheel would want to jerk a little in the opposite direction i was turning, especially in harder 90 degree turns. its almost intuitive. i was sitting in traffic late last night and i knew that if it wasn't going to happen then, it was going to happen the next day.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:48 AM

So has there been a list of cars that may be effected/ or is it any G6? My wife's car has never experienced it. We have almost 24K on it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 01:55 PM

GM should be bitch slapped for not offering any help on this matter whatsoever. Shame, shame, shame on them.

No TSBs, no recalls, nothing. They have completely ignored the fact it exists.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:10 PM

Talking steering

I just got my car back from the shop for the third time over steering. This time they replaced the whole steering column. Been two days and nothing yet. But hopefully that will fix it but i did hear someone else had the steering column replaced and it happened again. Let me know about the sensor thing and part #.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle_Cynicism
GM should be bitch slapped for not offering any help on this matter whatsoever. Shame, shame, shame on them.

No TSBs, no recalls, nothing. They have completely ignored the fact it exists.
Typical GM. They will ignore any defects until they become public relationship stinks.
Take a look at all the problems they had with warped brake rotors and broken power windows in the last 10 years with most of their cars, still they never acknowledge the problems nor try to remedy them.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:19 AM

They replaced a sensor in my 05 GT and the steering lock up got worse...finally they replaced my car with a GTP
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 AM

So the problem is with the electric power assist steering in the I-4 and 3.5L V-6, right? Glad I got the GTP with the hydraulic power steering (until the PS pump goes out at 36,001 miles)... :-0
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:53 PM

I have had my car back for about two weeks now and haven't had any problems yet. Actually it is driving better now than it ever has before. But Gm did offer me 5 year 100,000 mile warranty to not take it any further with the BBB. But i got to because even though the car is fine now, can they really say it is fixed and for me not to fill unsafe driving it. So i told them no thanks.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:07 AM

Dont hold your breath!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

The dealer had my car for about five weeks! They replaced the entire steering system. I got it back on September 12th. It locked up again on the 18th. That's the quickest time between service visits and a lock up for me yet. I brought it right back to them -- my wife and I were leaving the house to drive to a B+B for our anniversary -- to get another loaner.

I don't know what else they can do to fix the G6 now considering everything else they've tried. AFAIC, the car is useless and I guess I'm going to have to start an arbitration process to get the car bought back/traded. Wish me luck and I'll keep updating!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM

yes keep us updated!
I have quiet a list of problems and i am getting close to my warranty cut off!
So i hope everything thing gets fixed before then or i am gonna need to get rid of this before its to late.
Still like the g6 a lot though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in