Brake and handling issues - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Brake and handling issues

Hi everyone,

Here's the history of my GTP sedan:
1. Winter wobble was noticed in January
2. When I took my winter wheels off in April I asked them to look at the brakes - rottors needed machining. Not too impressed with only 8,000 Kms. Dealer said to come bac before 36,000 km warranty and they will replace the whole brake unit.
3. Took car in to get an oil change, alignment and some other misc stuff. Asked them to look at all the brakes. I left the car for three days - The dealer "forgot" to look at them - but noticed on a drive test that the back wheels shake "a lttle."

WTF? The car is freakin me out now. If I push it at all it gets squirly. The brakes feel like mush and the car skips when I hit bumps (little ones) around corners. This car feels way different than my other GTP sedan that some lady hit in October of last year. (That car was traded in for the one I have now.) Does anyone else have really light steering, loose control, sideways skips and mushy brakes? Do I have a suspension issue to? Or is all of this because of shotty brakes.

I've really tried to give GM the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting rediculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 01:48 AM

The brakes are typical of most GM cars, the rotors just don't hold up and you will get them pulsating in no time. Best thing is to just replace them with some slotted rotors and be done with it, or keep having them turned - which will just delay the inevitable.

I have almost 4K kms on mine and no problems yet, although I try to baby them as much as possible since I know how easy they would wear uneven.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why it is so difficult for GM to assemble their cars with good brakes and suspension. Every other company seems to do it - why can't GM?

Next car - Lexus IS350. Twice as much but lasts way longer without the hassles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 01:40 PM

I have about 15k miles on my GT coupe (about 24k km) and I have had no brake issues at all. My dad's GT sedan has over 21k miles (34k km) and he's had no warranty issues at all -- except the pano roof, which was fixed and never became an issue again.

Sorry to hear of your woes...maybe your dealer didn't fix the problem right the first time?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 PM

It's not just GM with these problems, every company will have them here and there. Taken care of I'm sure this car would last as good as any other. They are all going to have issues somewhere.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 04:26 PM

Maybe we should just get used to it- the Big Three automakers are all under the gun. Ford is laying off 10-30K workers and closing plants I heard yesterday. A lot of the time, components like brake rotors and clutches are undersized to perform the tasks they are intended to do as a cost saving measure according to my mechanic. I'm sure it's not just GM.
I know when you replace brake pads, you are supposed to seat them correctly by performing several repeated hard stops from 30-40 mph to "break them in." It seems to work. Does this need to be done with a new car?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 PM

GM is getting tremendous pressure to cut cost and they are putting tremendous pressure on their parts suppliers also. As a result there are a lot of cheap parts in their cars. Probably same thing apply to other manufacturers as well.

The braking performance is not compromised on the G6. In fact the G6 has a pretty good braking system. But the rotors definitely has a higher tendency to warp. It's been a on going problem for at least 10 years. Until the rotors begin to warp, the brakes are still good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 05:03 PM

Doh!

Last edited by mphred; 08-19-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Wrong Forun
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
Sorry to hear of your woes...maybe your dealer didn't fix the problem right the first time?
Yeah, like that could happen at a GM dealership
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in