New high performance brake rotors - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New high performance brake rotors

I just ordered new high performance brake rotors and cermic pads from j.c. whitney. Im tired of the rumbling every time i hit the brakes,Gm stock rotors are terrible.I have 30k on the stock brakes which have been rumbling for 10k or so.I will keep you posted on how much better they are when i put them on.
Take care Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 08:20 AM

Thanks. I'd beinterested on how well they perform and how well they last over the miles, so please post updates once in a while. I'm expecting one of the first failures I'm going to have with my GTP is going to be the brake rotors from what I've read from other posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Yeah me and my sis both have G6 and the rotors on both of are cars are junk and we both have the feeling like the car is going to bend or something because of the "rumbling" please post pictures to if u can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:45 PM

You can get some powerslot slotted rotors, they'll do the trick.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 09:47 PM

Brake Rotor Vibration

Yep, my brake rotors vibrate terribly at just over 22,000 miles on my 2005 G6 V6 Sedan with anti-lock.

Very dissapointed in the wear on these parts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 PM

Hi everyone,

Hold on...we are just going to say "oh well, the quality sucks - I'll just go buy new brake pads and rotors?"

F*&ck that! GM should be subsidizing the replacement.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 PM

GM will probably be glad to replace your old, crappy OEM rotors with another set of new, crappy OEM rotors. Maybe getcha past the 36000 mile warranty expiration, and what then? Better to just upgrade.
Funny, when I read Road & Track and other car mags long-term tests, they calculate the % brake pad left after putting 40K miles on the test car. On quality cars, fronts are usually calculated for about 60K miles, and rears at or over 100K miles. Not the rotors, mind you, the PADS. A decent rotor should be able to be turned at least twice before it is too thin and for safety reasons should be replaced. If someone tells you your rotors can't be turned at least twice, they are trying to screw you into buying new rotors when they aren't needed.
Anyone have their rotors turned with or without new pads? Did it fix the problem?

Last edited by mphred; 08-31-2006 at 11:33 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 AM

No not true, some rotors can't be turned twice in new condition. It all just depends you might get twice out of them, but if it will put them too close to that max point then they won't do it. On these you could probably get 2 out of, but there are some that you can only get 1 some 3.

Just wear the crap out of the stock rotors, and put on some aftermarket ones and be done with it. You could get them replaced but you'll always have the same problem.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 AM

Sounds like alot of warped rotors on these cars. Are people not bedding them in properly? It doesn't take much to wreck a new set of rotors during break in. Has anyone pulled there rotors and confirmed they are warped? Any failures/cracking reported? Powerslot rotors would obviously be a good setup for performance rotors but jcwhitney rotors???
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 AM

My sisters got so bad they had groves in them? I wish i could have got a picture but i wasnt able to get a camers when she took it in they didnt want to cover it and said basicaly she is a bad driver,....but bad driving can deff. screw them up but not make GROVES in them!!! (we both have a G6)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 AM

Interfire: I was again speaking about rotors on "quality cars" If the manufacturer goes cheap (small area, thin rotors) you will get warping quicker and maybe only be able to turn the rotor 1 time. So how do the car mags that beat the hell out of cars regularly report the pads alone are good for 60-100k miles based on measuring them at 40,000 miles?
And is Moto is right: New pads need to be properly seated- I'm sure they don't come from the factory already set. I've always read that a driver should perform 5-10 hard stops from 40 mph within the first 500 miles. Don't lock em up, and don't do them all at once (or you will overheat them and then REALLY warp your rotors.) Seems to work for me, but at 7K on my G6, for how long is anyone's guess. My Supercharged MR2 needed rotors turned every 3500 miles, but then, I never seated the pads properly back then. I bet I went through 5 sets of rotors on that thing...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:50 PM

I knew what you were saying and meant by it, but it was kinda confusing to match that with what you said about people telling you the rotors can't be turned twiced. True most people don't break in the brakes properly, but then again it's just that most people don't know how to brake period. Can't blame all of that on the equipment.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM

I still haven't decided if the G6 brakes suck. So far, mine stops great, and has much better pedal feel than my BMW 3-series. Hopefully, seating the new brakes will help me get more miles out of them before problems come up. But if I get warp before 25,000 miles or so, I'm just going to get the aftermarket slotted ones Interfire was talking about. Rotor shudder sucks, wears out the pads too quickly, and it gets expensive replacing rotors- pads are supposed to wear out before rotors, LOL...
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:34 AM

My rear rotors are rumbling now. My car has 20,000 Kms on it, and the front rotors have already been machined once. If they do need to be replaced will I be able to use the money towards higher quality brakes? I don't mind paying for better brakes if GM is helping me out.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

your rears are rumbling and your fronts are ok ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in