Rack and Pinion need replacing - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Rack and Pinion need replacing

Thats right after about 14,xxx miles the rack and pinion needs to be replaced. I noticed a clunking about a month ago and took it in to be looked at, they informed me that the tierod end was bad and it needed to be replaced. I had heard from a fellow owner that the R&P had an issue that GM had addressed but I figured it could have easily been the tie rod! Anyways I wait a week for the tie rod end to come in and they fix it, 2 days later while making a slow turn to the right or left... **CLUNK** so I call and get it back into the shop after waiting a week due to them being busy.. and low and behold the service manager calls me back with ummmm... we had to order you a new rack. I'll hate to say it but I have a feeling its all downhill from here, as soon as this gets fixed I think I might start shopping the car around for something else. So if anyone hears some noises from the suspension take it in and have it looked at, so far I know there are 3 people (I think) with R&P problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 AM

I am hearing the noise now in both derections.
Exactly as u discribed, i dont even want to deal with this crap.
I hope this "fix" really works.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

well it better if its a whole new rack LMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 PM

I had my rack replaced yesterday on my G6 GT with 8.5K on it. It had the clunk since it was new. Problem appears to be fixed.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Its not just the G6 though, I had my rack&pinion replaced on my 2005 Malibu MAXX in July after waiting 4 and a half months for a "fix" and it is already slowly making the same noises all over again...so I wouldnt be confident that simply replacing it is the fix...but we can always hope!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Is the knocking in the steering related to the CV joints? If GM's fix is to replace the whole steering assembly, it's hard to tell what the actual problem is. So far, all the posts have the 3.5L with the electronic power-assisted steering. I thought I heard a clunk once when turning the wheel all the way to the right (I have the hydraulic steering), but maybe I'm just paranoid...
CV joints on FWD vehicles have a much harder life than those on RWD cars. One thing I've noticed- if you don't like to use the parking brake when parking (I don't, rather use it as an emergency brake), the car will, if parked on any incline, roll forward (or backward) after putting it in Park & releasing the brake pedal. Several inches, and then a hard stop against the transaxle. I've read that this is particularly hard on CV joints. So I ease off the brake pedal very slowly to ease the impact and strain on the joints and tranny. The manual says to always use the parking brake, but over time I find this stretches the cable, so I prefer not to unless I'm parked on a steep incline. And at only 7000 miles, my parking brake catches (and not even fully) at the last click. It's on my list of things to have adjusted at the dealer when I do take it in.

Last edited by mphred; 09-14-2006 at 08:14 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 PM

I've been wondering what the click in the rear was. I guess now I know what to ask the dealership.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 PM

The popping I have with the electric steering is like someone is popping bubble wrap, which is actually the gears within the rack and pinion grinding on each other, which eventually causes the louder pop and in my case the gears actually "binded" as the dealer told me creating a locked steering wheel. I don't know if it is the CV joints making a noise, I do know that replacing the whole unit gets rid of the sound for a couple thousand miles, but its not a miracle cure.But this is getting on into a whole different subject.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Wow, Central G6, your steering wheel actually locked up? Not while you were driving I hope...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 PM

Ya, just like the some of the 05 G6's. I was turning right on to a street and the wheel "locked" 3/4's of the way into the turn and wouldn't come back as I tried it to get into traffic, it almost sent me in a circle to the curb. Thankfully nothing happend other than that. But the car was back in the dealership the next day.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:33 PM

Dang is all I have to say to that! You're a good sport, especially since the problem seems to be coming back. See if they'll swap you for a newer Malibu or G6.

Anyone with hydraulic power steering having problems?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:23 AM

Man i am glad everything is fine... that just scares me thinking my wheel could lock.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 AM

I bought my G6 only last month. I bought the car used with 25000 miles on it. It's a 05 G6 V6 3500. I know that 25000 is a lot for only one year of use. After getting the car I noticted that the car pulled to the left at highway speeds. I thought it was a tire problem. After a few days I would hear a loud banging noise after turning the wheels. Most of the time I heard it after exiting a turn. I took the car to my local dealer where he told me that the power steering gear box had to be replaced. He also told me that GM had sent a email with a TSB reguarding this issue. After replaceing the gear box the steering has been tight and the noise is gone. However the car is now starting to pull to the right at highway speeds. I have not had a lockup of steering yet but am now wondering if this well be a long fight up hill.

Bryan

That was from a post eariler. I have not had problems since the replacement. I have put about 5000 miles since that time.

Bryan
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 AM

Bryan,
What you have said is almost exactly what I have experienced. Originally a left lead at high way speeds, the noises coming into and out of turns and then when they did replace my gear box, the noises stopped, but I too developed a right lead problem. Its getting worse too. The car wanders and the steering has loosened substantially since having the gear box replaced in July. So I wish you the best of luck and make sure you have all this clear up before the bumper-bumper warranty expires. Thank god my car is a lease, because I can't even imagine what will be wrong come year 5. Best of luck.

Jon

Last edited by CentralG6Coupe; 09-20-2006 at 09:16 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Rodeoguy94

Do u have a work reciept that tells u the tsb number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in