different steering issue- 06 GTP - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

different steering issue- 06 GTP

I have tried searching and either it doesn't exist for anyone else, or I used the wrong key words. I have an 06 GTP and since the day I bought it, it has a horrible vibration/growling feeling when turning the wheel slowly. It is not like a car with no PS fluid, it is different. Kind of like vvvrrrrom vvvrrrrom vvvrrrrom as the wheel is turning (I know, but hard to describe a noise ). you can feel the vibration in the wheel and if you put your hand on the car from the outside while someone is turning the wheel, you can feel it there too. It is audible also, but not so much as it can be felt. The sound is more like a resonance sound I think than the problem actually making a noise if that makes sense.

My dealer says they can't figure it out .

Anyone else?
Joe

Last edited by kwiktsi; 12-05-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 PM

I canít help you, but tell the dealer to start replacing parts starting with the rack, if they can figure it out. Just because that can figure it out doesnít mean they should stop trying to fix it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I mentioned that and they said they can't without permission and they have a claim in to GM TAC and said they can only do what they tell them to do. It is actually pissing me off that they don't seem more concerned than that.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 PM

I just had the steering rack assembly replaced on my '06 G6 GTP last week. Sounds like you're hearing/feeling the same noise I was. I have 34,000 on mine ( 14 months ) and I've been noticing this problem for about the last month or so. It always seemed to have a slight wandering in the steering, not as tight as I thouight it should have been. Replacing the rack fixed the noises and the wandering. Just hope it lasts awhile.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman8120
I just had the steering rack assembly replaced on my '06 G6 GTP last week. Sounds like you're hearing/feeling the same noise I was. I have 34,000 on mine ( 14 months ) and I've been noticing this problem for about the last month or so. It always seemed to have a slight wandering in the steering, not as tight as I thouight it should have been. Replacing the rack fixed the noises and the wandering. Just hope it lasts awhile.
Yeah, now I just have to get them to do something about it . First time was "cannot replicate"- it does it EVERY time, so that was a copout. Second time was "hmm, that is odd, we'll see what GM says, we can't just replace parts without their permission". Getting sick of this dealers service. Their sales dept/ is pretty good though. Funny, the same family has a bunch of dealerships around here- and my experience with the two I have dealt with are the same- making the sale, they are excellent, performing service work, they never go out of their way to make sure the job is done right. I will never buy another car from any of their dealerships again, this is two for two- I will not let there be a third!
Joe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Well, the dealer I work with here in Cleveland didn't even sell me the car, but have given me excellent service every time. But I had very different experiences with the same car at a dealership where I work in Youngstown. They caused me all kind of grief, and then I wrote a letter to the dealership complaining, and next thing I know, they told me to take the car to where I bought it, 30 miles away, and are refusing to service it under the GM warranty. So, dealers can vary greatly in how well they'll provide assistance and fix your problems. Good luck with your efforts to fix the steering...I'll guarantee you it's the rack and pinion.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I agree with it being the rack, but getting them to do anything is going to be ridiculous. This is the same dealer that said they fixed my panoramic roof rattle, yet didn't do anything to it. They claim there was no TSB, yet I found it and performed it myself and the thing has been fine ever since. They just want the easy money, but not work for it apparently .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 AM

Might want to try another GM dealer in another area, even if it's a distance away. Seems I remember that there used to be some sort of unwritten rule about if you were within so many miles of the selling dealer, another dealer wouldn't work on it, but I don't know if that's still true or not. Don't put up with this problem if your local dealer won't fix it for you. You also can try the Pontiac assistance number listed in the back of the manual. They may be able to help finding another dealer or at least make a call to your dealer conveying your concerns. Of course the problem with that is that your local dealer may get mad you called the zone office and give you even more grief Nothing worse than a new car with a problem that can't be fixed. You think about every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in