Cracking Noise - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Cracking Noise

Does anyone else here almost a "cracking" noise coming from either the top of the dash or the windshield? Mine is pretty loud at times, but I can't narrow down to where it's coming from. I've noticed it since it's been cold. There is no ice involved though, so I know it is not that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Every vehicle I've ever driven has made a cracking noise like you describe when it's very cold out. I haven't yet figured out what it is.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:29 AM

Just curious do you have a Panaramic sunroof. I had a rattle up near the driver head. Bug the hell our of me got it fixed. If you cracking sound coming from the windshield. It just the car metal and windshield settling from the contracting and uncontraction from the cold to being warm. should go away soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:38 PM

yeah.. my car used to do that.. but it has calmed down recently.. the first few times it was cold.. it was pretty bad.. but only happens occasionally when cold now..
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrrus
Just curious do you have a Panaramic sunroof. I had a rattle up near the driver head. Bug the hell our of me got it fixed. If you cracking sound coming from the windshield. It just the car metal and windshield settling from the contracting and uncontraction from the cold to being warm. should go away soon.
Yeah, I have a panoramic roof. I hear cracking up there sometimes too. I attributed that to some ice up there.

The windshield though can be VERY loud at times. It happens quite frequently while driving 40+ minutes, as well as on very short trips.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 AM

Mine does that... of course it has a lot to do with the cold weather and the cheap plastic peice up front.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Same Strange Noise

Live in Maryland, pretty mild winter until recently. Like you, once it started to get cold, I started to notice a cracking noise. Can't determine where it is coming from.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:37 AM
GJS

Mine has the cracking as well not sure what it could be it has done it since we got the car
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Mine does the same thing. It is the cheap plastic up at the top of the dash. When I have the defroster on, or the vents even pointing only to the feet, it does it. It's especially bad when I go over bumps. It's very loud (and embarassing) at times. I will address this to the technician when my first oil change comes due.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:47 AM

Its somewhere on the dash my Grand Am actually doesnt do it but the G6 does and it drives me crazy its actually been getting worse at time.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:53 AM

Your right Black G6 thats exactly where its coming from. I'm not a fan of the plastic I knew it was going to make noise. My Grand Am actually doesnt do it but the G6 does and it drives me crazy its actually been getting worse at times . I havent heard any cracking coming from the panoramic sunroof yet.

Ive heard the noise in other cars but this noise is actually really loud and its not when its extremly cold because it really hasnt gotten all that cold here but anywhere from 40 degrees down.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:18 AM

My G6 gt has that cracking noise as well but i think it is just the cold. Here in Indiana we really don't have extremely cold winters but it can get below freezing. However it has started to settle down after about 3 months of owning it. As for the noise up by my panaramic sunroof i have not noticed it.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:15 PM

It's just the massive amount of plastic expanding as it heats -

although its annoying I dont think its anything to be too worried about
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Boi
It's just the massive amount of plastic expanding as it heats -

although its annoying I dont think its anything to be too worried about
I know thats the problem. But most GM cars use plastic interior parts. My Grand Am doesnt make the sound (and my Grand Am was a lot cheaper than the G6) So the G6 should be no different. Neither did my 2001 Saturn SC2 which was even cheaper than my Grand Am. I've been in cars that will make a few sounds but never as bad as I have heard on the G6.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 PM

It could be a different kind of plastic
(who knows GM loves to cut corners anyway they can)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in