Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Unlocking door(s), trunk using drivers side door with key???

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RKH 
#1 ·
I have read on here and in the manual that if you use the key to unlock the drivers door you can then unlock all doors and then the trunk by turning the key again. So the drivers door unlock would be 1 turn. All doors, 2 turns. And the trunk, 3 turns. I have tried this and the only one that works is the drivers door unlock. The other two don't work.

Is this something that was turned off or disable at the dealer due to the "rain" issues unlocking doors and popping the trunk if something got wet? Is there a way to turn this back on? Does this work on your G6 or not?

It is no big deal since I just use the remote transmitter. But may come in handy sometime. And if it has this feature then it should be enabled.

Also, does anyone else think it would be cool for GM to have all windows go down if you turn and hold the key like the VW Jetta my friend has? Its a neat feature so you don't have to get in and hit all the buttons.

#3 ·
e2helper said:
You are correct in regards to why this doesn't work, the owner manual was supposed to be supplemented with updated operation description
Yes, I bought my G6 Dec, 31 2004. The owners manual came with a Supplement. It has page 1 and 2 on the back. Page 1 has the "Content Theft-Deterrent" system "arming" and "disarming" Page 2 is a continuation from 1. "How to Turn Off the System Alarm." Then it has "Door Locks" It has two "Caution" boxes about unlocked doors.

The only thing about how to lock or unlock your doors it states this:

"There are several ways to lock and unlock your vehicle."

"From the outside, use your key or remote keyless entry transmitter, if equipped. Turn the key counterclockwise to unlock the door."

"From the inside, use the manual lock knobs or the power lock switches."
Wow, I think I need education on how to unlock the door after reading this. Way to GM, instead of fixing the problem...you just disabled it all together. Poor excuse if you ask me :mad:

#5 ·
Door Locks

Yo!

I'm from Canada, I had the car recalled in Dec. (Purchased in October 04) Apparently the moisture and rain and stuff can get trapped in the door panel. That triggers the modules in the switch sometimes and it unlocks the doors...I just got the recall in the mail and then the next morning I got out and the trunk is popped - not open just popped.

I took it in and had something redone. I think they just masked the problem by turning that key function above off.

Any ways it went in for something else too...the Fog lights wouldn't turn on at one point so they fixed that....I almost got in a drove away when I noticed that the Auto start wouldn't work.....they fixed that and I think re introduced the other problem. The other night I came out and the trunk was popped again....ahghhh....back to the shop.

SBM

#6 ·
Just when my faith in GM is almost restored....
Our 93 Corsica (according to the owners manual) also had the ability to unlock all doors with the drivers door key. When we called to ask about it not working, we were told that it had been included when the manual was printed but dind't actually make it into production.
Let's see, May 1993 until May 2005 is exactly 12 years and they still haven't gotten this to work...I guess it's a good thing we have a sense of humor, huh? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.