05 G6 V6 - Air Bags, Vibration and Steering - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

05 G6 V6 - Air Bags, Vibration and Steering

Since I couldn't pass up the price and content of this particular vehicle and my Grand Am decided to gulp some coolant, I now own a 2005 G6.

Any help is appreciated

A couple questions...

1) It was sold to me with a window sticker indicating "Side Curtain Air Bags". However, now that I have it home, I see no indications of air bags at all on the sides. Don't they normally put air bag decals near where they are - as they do with the front driver and passenger air bags?!?! Any other way to know for sure if I actually have side curtains?!?

2) I assume vibration over 60 is the typical GM Rotor issue? These are new rotors, but someone at the dealership did put miles on them before I bought the vehicle. I will take it in, but I am not confident of a permanent fix from GM.

3) Steering - I have read issues on here about the steering. My does "pop" once in awhile, but not all the time. Should I be concerned? I think this only affects certain types of steering? (Electric I believe?!?) Would the Sedan have the "bad" steering and is an occassional popping something that could predate the larger issue with steering lockup, etc?

Again - Thanks for any information!!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 PM

1) I think models equipped with curtain bags have SRS logos molded into the A and C-pillar trim. You could always make sure the window sticker VIN matches your actual VIN. I think there is also a fuse opening for the curtain bags- check to see if yours has a fuse in it.

2) GM brake rotors suck.

3) You do have electric steering on a year in which many cases of lock-up were reported. My '05 GT never suffered steering problems. I'm not really sure what you mean by popping sound, mine never made any odd noises.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
1) I think models equipped with curtain bags have SRS logos molded into the A and C-pillar trim. You could always make sure the window sticker VIN matches your actual VIN. I think there is also a fuse opening for the curtain bags- check to see if yours has a fuse in it.

2) GM brake rotors suck.

3) You do have electric steering on a year in which many cases of lock-up were reported. My '05 GT never suffered steering problems. I'm not really sure what you mean by popping sound, mine never made any odd noises.
Thanks Ben. I see no Air Bag or SRS logo's, so I am doubting the dealerships claim at the moment and will give them hell if I can prove that I just bought a vehicle that they said had side curtains and do not. I will look for the fuses.

Does anyone know a site to punch in a VIN and see the original equipment?? Or original window sticker??

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Remind me why I bought this again!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
\
My car has been at the dealer for 3 days now - at least I have Grand Prix loaner. I described the steering as having a occassional popping sound and also noted other noises that sounded like loose hardware.

They are now replacing the upper control arm and the steering rack. And the quote from the service rep at the dealer was something to the effect of "we found all kinds of stuff and have a lot of things going on to fix your vehicle".

Great! I knew I shouldn't have gotten a G6 - but I did. I hope I live till my next car.

Best wishes and good luck to all those that have this issue.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Update...

Issue : Noise/Clunks up front - Dealer replaced both front lower control arms due to them both being worn at the ball joint. Is this a normal wear item for this vehicle?!?!

Issue : Heard a pop when turning once - Dealer replaced steering gear (I assume this is the entire R&P, electronic drive, etc?)

Issue : Rough braking - Dealer turned rotors. Expect this problem back soon in no time.

Issue : Window would not go down - Dealer replaced window regulator.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:31 AM

I had the same popping noise from my steering about a year ago. The dealer replaced the Power Steering Rack. Since the vehicle was under extended warranty, it cost me the $200 deductable. Guess what. The popping noise is back, and I am about to contact the dealer again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in