2005 G6 Door ajar and dome light on - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

2005 G6 Door ajar and dome light on

Hi All
My door ajar on the message center and also the dome light will not turn off sometimes, other times it will go for a day or two and be fine. I tried a drivers side door latch but that didn't fix it, Any ideas?? If you had this problem please let me know what the fix was. Appreciate the help!!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 AM

I had a similar problem on my wifes expedition. I sprayed some WD-40 on all the door latches and worked it in. Wahlah, it worked. It seems that the latch sensor was a little gummed up. Hope it works for you too.

dcrocket043

Last edited by dcrocket043; 10-30-2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: input salutation
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70 Mach 1 View Post
Hi All
My door ajar on the message center and also the dome light will not turn off sometimes, other times it will go for a day or two and be fine. I tried a drivers side door latch but that didn't fix it, Any ideas?? If you had this problem please let me know what the fix was. Appreciate the help!!

Dave
there is a sensor behind the door panel that looks like a black box about 5 inches wide by 2 inches high. This sensor controls many functions like the door ajar message, the dome lights, and the electric locks. I have had to replace two of these now. It seems cold weather does affect this part. I think I have a third one now, but sense it has warmed up, it has not been a problem. Yhey are expensive to replace as well about $250. Hopefully GM will do something about this soon. It appears this is a problem that has been happening for several years now. My G6 is a 2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...hp?f=2&t=21662

This happened to mine and this is the thread. It's at the g6performance.com site. Hope this helps. The second page is where it says what the dealer did to fix it.

Mark.

My driver 2007 G6 GT Sedan white with black leather, sunroof. Duel outlet exhaust.
Wife's driver 2015 Equinox 2LT AWD 3.6 V6
My toy 1984 camaro... to much to list.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 AM
[IMG]http://i728.photobuc

same deal with mine the drivers doors made ajar light come on and dome light. the passenger door made the bell go off the dealer replace both door latches and problem solved.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Where to buy door latch assembly?

I know that its my driver side door and I want to replace the door latch assembly - but where should I buy this part? The stealer will for sure want an arm and a leg.

PS I know its the driver side door because when I lock all my doors the driver door unlocks a second later on its own. Also WD40 on the latch didn't do anything for me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Update

More info after some further investigation:

Today I took the door apart to test if the latch was the cause of my issue; I learned that the Gray/Black wire going to the latch is responsible for the door ajar signal when it is grounded. So if this is the case then cutting the wire should solve the door ajar signal from being sent. I cut the wire and my problem did not go away. I also grounded this wire directly against the bare black wire also going to the latch - still no go. My reasoning for picking this door is that whenever I auto lock all the doors the drivers door always pops back open. I also believe that the gray/black wire is correct because all of the other functions were not effected when the wire was cut (the door still locked and unlocked electrically). Now I am thinking that the issue is not with the latch but rather inside the car. Does anyone have access to wiring diagrams for the door ajar sensor that we can examine?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 AM
[IMG]http://i728.photobuc

I wish i could help you but my cars under warrenty. the dealer fixes everything. my drivers door lock would also only go down for a second then pop back up. all other locks stayed down. you are going to have to get a whole new latch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in