panaromic moon roof shattered - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation panaromic moon roof shattered

Has anybody ever had their panaromic moon roof shatter? I was just driving down the highway and heard a loud pop, pulled over and one of the panels was totally shattered. Glad the sunshade was closed! Unsure if this will be repaired by a glass company or a pontiac dealer. Anybody ever had this happen to them? The car is a 2005 G6 GT and the roof has been a giant headache!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Yours is the first I have heard of.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Calling around to the pontiac dealer, glass company, and the insurance company, it seems like this was the first they had all heard of it too. Hopefully, it's the only time it happens. I've had that roof repaired 3 times for wind noise/rattle - maybe once I get a new one, it will be a quiet roof. Of course, I don't know for sure they will have to replace the entire roof - maybe they can just replace the one panel.......until then, I have a lot of duct tape on the roof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
probably a large rock got slung up from a truck or even your tires up into the air on to your roof
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I have heard of it happening but only once before.

The glass can be replaced seperatly. No need for track replacement.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession

Last edited by Lampoon; 12-11-2008 at 11:20 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Just purchased a pre-owned G6 with panoramic roof. With the roof closed, I keep hearing a knocking sound. Isn't based on speed, but happens when the car is moving. No leaks seen yet. Anyone encounter similar noises, and any solutions?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 AM
Premium Member

The pano roofs are bad for noise. Take some time to search around this forum and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. There are some TSB out on this so if you get a competent GM dealer they should be able to make it quieter. I plan to get mine fixed after my 25th b-day (so I can get a rental and not pay the extra $25/day) but not sure how much it'll costs if my aftermarket warranty doesn't cover it.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Thanks KB. I'll drive it a bit this week to see if any other noises pop up. Yes I've searched around the sites, and most a not good stories on the pano roofs (guess that's why I'm not seeing many of these installed on G6's). What scares me is this is a pre-own with 30K on it (2006), so I'm wondering either they tried everything and nothing worked, or these drove the car over the past 2.5 years with all the rattles(hard to believe). I"ll give the dealer a few kicks at it, and if unsuccessful, it'll be traded in by YE. Also with the Pontiac brand being phased out, wonder how serious the dealers will be to fix the probs.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWGC View Post
Thanks KB. I'll drive it a bit this week to see if any other noises pop up. Yes I've searched around the sites, and most a not good stories on the pano roofs (guess that's why I'm not seeing many of these installed on G6's). What scares me is this is a pre-own with 30K on it (2006), so I'm wondering either they tried everything and nothing worked, or these drove the car over the past 2.5 years with all the rattles(hard to believe). I"ll give the dealer a few kicks at it, and if unsuccessful, it'll be traded in by YE. Also with the Pontiac brand being phased out, wonder how serious the dealers will be to fix the probs.
I'm thinking it was a rental (like mine) which is why they had low miles and was an older model but they didn't bother to fix it. I think you should give any GM dealer a crack, they'll all service Pontiacs, and hopefully GM is sticking around for a while.

You do realize you'll probably take a loss if you trade it in already right? The depreciation on these things are horrible.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Actually his loss shouldn't be too bad since he bought used. The REAL hit is taken by those foolish enough to buy new cars.

Oh wait a minute...

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I bought mine brand new too.....

Its ok....I <3 my G6!!!

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

I bought mine used too and I still owe about $3,000 more than what it's worth. Oh well I'm going to keep it for a while so it doesn't bother me.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Interesting. I never thought a car with 30K would be with a rental company (if it was), for that long. I figured they moved these cars before they hit 10K. You make a good point. I'd think rentals would only get serviced if something mechanically is wrong. Rattles and such would be ignored for all the known reasons. Today I noticed that the rattles continue when the pano is opened up full. I'm sure with that much window, it wouldn't be like a traditional sunroof feel. I may have to realize that this maybe the types of sounds with such a roof. I'm starting to think I've seen such few of the G6 panos on the road, did they scrap the technology due to major probs...I see a ton with the normal sunroof, zilc with the pano. Don't know the price difference, but if significant, maybe it outpriced itself on the market.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris999 View Post
Has anybody ever had their panaromic moon roof shatter? I was just driving down the highway and heard a loud pop, pulled over and one of the panels was totally shattered. Glad the sunshade was closed! Unsure if this will be repaired by a glass company or a pontiac dealer. Anybody ever had this happen to them? The car is a 2005 G6 GT and the roof has been a giant headache!!

You know.....I JUST had the same EXACT thing happen to my sunroof. It's still sitting in my driveway, with a car cover over it to protect it from rain, etc... Hopefully, the raplacement sunroof will be in Monday.
I still don't know the culprit.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Oracle Send a message via Skype™ to The Oracle
Question

Haven't heard of that instance. Which panel shattered (the front nearest the antenna being #1)? Chris999 ~ Which panel of yours?

Patrick [aka: The Oracle]
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in