Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2007 G6, 2.4L Engine Noise

20K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Chase Dotterweich 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm looking for some advice from other G6 Owners on their experiece concerning whats normal and what might be not normal engine noise. Both my son and myself own 2007 G6 Sedans with the 2.4L engine ( yeah, I liked his so much, I went and got one too). On my car, the engine starts making a tapping noise once the engine is warmed up. If you are "old" like me....you would say it sounds like a dirty lifter or maybe wrist pin noise....anyway, I took it to the dealer and they checked it out by listening to it and said that its "rotational" noise, don't worry about. Well, thats all well and good ,but my son's car does not have this noise and both are basically identical ( 2.4,auto trans, etc..). What would you do ??

#3 ·
I work in quicklube at a Chevrolet dealer, and lots of ecotecs are the same way. I don't know what it is, but from my understanding the ecotec is a great little engine and will run forever. The internals are good for 300hp, the block is good for up to 600 without additional stiffening if I remember right. So GM did it's homework there.:)

I wouldn't be too worried about it, perhaps running synthetic oil would reduce the noise (due to reduced friction).

#5 ·
I run valvoline semi-synthetic and a wix filter in my Jeep, ditto on the GrandAm, and that worked well.

As for the 3100/3400 valve noise it didn't help a whole lot, but it might be a different noise on the ecotec.

For the supercharged ecotecs and some Corvettes, GM recommends mobil1 synthetic oil.

Amsoil and Royal Purple probably won't hurt, but are more expensive, so I wouldn't use these unless they're used in competition (which being a 4cyl/auto probably isn't)

#9 ·
Tapping noise

I have the same taping noise in my G6-4 cylinder and had same ticking noise in an earlier Blazer. They first told me that was normal and when I told them to bring a new 4 cylinder into the service dept it did not do it. Come to find out that it is related to the electric fuel pump and the noise is reverburated throught the fuel line. They can fix it if you scream loud enough !I had to get the factory rep involved !:D

#11 ·
Update: I changed the oil / filter last weekend at 3800 miles...used Castrol Syntec 5W-30, I wanted to see if it would reduce the "noise", it did not. I'm still glad that I went to the full synthetic as it will improve oiling at startup in cold weather. Does anyone know exactly how the "oil Life monitoring" system really works ? I read somewhere that it utilizes some type of sensor, I'm doubtfull that this is correct, otherwise why would the Owners manual advise that if you accidentally reset the oil life, you must change the oil within 3000 miles ?

#13 ·
Thanks Lilspree, so how many miles do you have on your G6? I've just turned over 12,000 and the "noise" is still there. I keep thinking that its going to get worse. If you've got a lot more miles and have not had a problem, then maybe I should ignore it and enjoy the drive.

#14 ·
I have 45000 and the only problem I have had with the car is a popping sound when I turn the wheel. It's not a bad sound but it seems like its coming from the driver side. I have done my research and plenty of people have both problems. (tapping noise in engine, kinda like you have low oil, and this front end noise.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.