Brand new `07 with 3 problems already - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Brand new `07 with 3 problems already

I just purchased a 2007 Value Edition 2.4L sedan and already have three problems. I've had the car for 3 weeks and have put less than 150 miles on it. If I wasn't working 60 hours per week right now (due to the holiday) I would have taken the car in already.

Problem number one is moisture inside the cab. If there's high humidity outside or really early in the morning when you normally have moisture on your car, well, I have it on my car and IN my car. I made sure all the windows were all the way up and that didn't do anything, along with checking to make sure each door was properly shut. A few days ago it got down to about 25 degrees and the moisture on the inside of the car froze on the rear window. Yeah, scraping got the outside frost off but I had to wait until the rear window heater took care of the remaining ice.

Problem two is the gear shifter (4-speed) not engaging Reverse all the time. The gear will engage but the shifter will not be all the way back into the shift box and sometimes it will click but still be in neutral. Should this be an easy adjustment by the dealer?

Problem three sounds like it's an exhaust issue. After the car has been running for a few minutes the exhaust makes a very loud tinking sound that's audible even when you're driving and at a stop. When the car is turned off it continues for a few minutes. Is this inherent to new exhausts that are being broken in? This is my 4th new car (all GM) and I've never heard this before.
I'm mainly worried about the moisture in the car, which doesn't sound good at all. I'm still within my 30 days so if it's something major I can take this puppy back, right?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:59 PM

exactly how many miles did your car have on when you purchased it?

quite honestly i'd take it back to a dealership and tell them i don't want that car and that i'm very scared to drive it ... they'll belive you

i can think of only 2 reasons for there to be moisture in the interior
#1 is quite harmless - dealers usually clean cars at detailing shops before selling them so that could be moisture from that
#2 something is leaking - open the trunk and lift the carpet that covers the spare tire ... take out the spare and see if there's any water in the trunk ... also see if there's any moisture on the inner side of the trunk lid ... if there is - a great reason to start a fight at the dealership and demand a different car ... also check the carpet on the floor ... if it's wet then it's most likely a sunroof drain if you have a sunroof

the problem with the gear shifter should not even be an issue if that car's brand new ... if it's not working properly i'd definately take it back because if it's brand new then it's brand new and everything should work right

the ticking exhaust is the other great reason to take it back and ask for a different vehicle because the only thing brand new exhausts do is they have a certain smell until you put some miles on the car ...

so ... i work at a body shop and sometimes we fix cars from people that sell cars to dealerships ... they buy them online, fix them up and sell them to local dealers... there's a possibility of you buying a car like that ... they usually have some miles on them though ... like 1000 miles ... or 5000 miles ... we had a ford taurus with 5 miles on it though so ... just think about it

if you checked the trunk and there's water in there then to me it sounds like that car was hit in the rear and that's why the exhaust in making noise

all of the above is just my opinion so ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. My wife took the car to work today so I'll check it out when she gets back. The car was purchased brand new as an end of year model that had 92 miles on it, 10 of which I put on it during the test drive. The `07 had a $2500 rebate while the `08 had a $1000 rebate so I was willing to take a car that had 82 more miles on it.

The moisture from the detail does make sense since I never saw moisture the two times I looked at the vehicle and it only happened on 2 occasions and I luckily haven't seen it since, however, the humidity has been low. I still can't figure out what that ticking sound from the exhaust could be. Hmmm. I'll investigate once she gets back and maybe even jack the car up.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 AM

I still can't figure out what that ticking sound from the exhaust could be.
Most new exhaust systems will tick for awhile due to normal expansion/contraction,that should go away after awhile also,i wouldn't worry about it,it's normal.

07/G5,85&78 VETTE'S,,,,WIFE 08/G6
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Condensation

I live in NE Pennsylvania (Scranton). Just about every day for the last month, I have been greeted in the morning with a coat of frost on the inside of the front and sometimes rear window. It is also not unusual to find some frost on the inside at the end of the day when I leave work. I just returned from the RJ Burne dealership where I bought the 2006 G6 GT. The service attendant told me that the mechanic told him that this inside frost and condensation is a normal occurrence. Of course I am skeptical and will continue to seek a solution. Since I purchased the car 7 months ago, it has been otherwise trouble free.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Stevie,

Do me a favor and keep me updated with your findings. The condensation inside our car is hit or miss with me finding it maybe once every 2 weeks. However, the muffler still "tinks" every time we drive the car.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Regarding the moisture/humidity condensation on the inside of the front winshield and rear window...........you might check out the climate contols setting options starting on page 182 of the owners manual. Utilizing the recirculation mode with the heater should reduce the humidity within the vehicle, note that it will automatically switch to outside air when using defrost and normally uses outside air when heating/cooling unless you select recirculation mode. Give it a try and see if it helps..........good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm having this condensation problem on my inside windows and it's very annoying and bothersome. This is my 4th car in roughly a year and a half, and this is the only car to have this issue. So it's definitely an issue. Although this is the first of the 4 that has a sunroof. So maybe it's an issue for cars with sunroofs? I don't know...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Lifetime Member

Can you elabrorate on the issue?

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in